Women’s Water Polo narrowly beat by Ivy League opponents

Brooke Tracey, Senior Writer

The Bison women’s water polo team went 0-2 in their games this past weekend against Harvard on Saturday, April 9 and Brown on Sunday, April 10. While the Bison fought for the entirety of both games, they could not quite outscore their opponents. The Orange and Blue now sit at 9-15 on the season and 3-9 in the CWPA. 

In the first game of the weekend, the Bison traveled to Cambridge, Mass. to face No. 19 Harvard Crimson. The Orange and Blue started off the first quarter very strong, leading the Crimson 3-1. After Harvard was able to get on the board in the opening minutes, the Bison found the back of the net three times thanks to Megan LaCroix ’23, Paige Furano ’22 and Isabelle Monaghan ’24. In the second half, each team scored once, giving the Bison a 4-2 entering the half. After the break, the Crimson had a 3-0 run of their own, allowing them to take the lead 5-4. As the third quarter closed out, Caroline Oates ’25 scored a goal for the Bison, evening the score at 5-5. In the final quarter of play, the Bison were unable to find the back of the net while Harvard capitalized on two chances in the last eight minutes. The final score was 7-5 in favor of the Crimson. 

The Orange and Blue headed to Providence, R.I. for their second game of the weekend against the Brown University Bears. The game remained neck-and-neck throughout its entirety, with each team responding with a goal after conceding. The Bears were first to get on the board with an early goal, but was quickly met with a goal by Monaghan to tie the game. Another goal from Monaghan later in the quarter would even the game 2-2 after the first. Each team scored one goal in the second quarter, entering halftime still tied at 3-3. Following the break, the Bears scored two quick goals, giving them the largest lead thus far. The Bison then responded with two goals of their own, from Furano and Emma Molaski ’24. Both teams remained tied 5-5 at the start of the fourth quarter. Boati Motau ’25 was able to get the Bison on the board first, making this their first lead of the day. The Orange and Blue could not hold out the victory, however, as the Bears secured the game with three unanswered goals in the final minutes. The Bison fell by another close margin of 6-8. 

“We played two very tough games this weekend and came just shy of winning both times. We played pretty well overall but we were also able to pinpoint what we need to work on moving forward to championships, which is being more aggressive offensively. The next time we go up against Harvard and Brown, which will likely be in two weeks, we’ll be more than ready,” Sam Gove ’23 said. 

With the regular season now over, the Bison look ahead to the CWPA Championship, which is being held at home in Kinney Natatorium. First-round games begin on April 22, with the championship scheduled for April 24.

(Visited 16 times, 1 visits today)