Bucknell Dining and the Return of the Flyson

Juliana Rodrigues, Special Features Editor

Revamping the dining processes at the University since the changes it faced during the COVID-19 pandemic has been quite a long process. Coming into the 2022 fall semester, we are seeing normalcy more than ever as the famous and student favorite Flyson food truck makes its grand return. The dining staff and coordinators are constantly working to execute new dining ideas for students, and the semester ahead has lots in store.

Seventh Street Cafe

Having undergone redecoration and renovation this summer, students walking into the Seventh Street Cafe this fall could describe it as looking brand new. With new furniture for the long study hours and a new mobile ordering system for on the go pick up, the dining staff has truly been catering to the needs of busy University students. The cafe also features a different milkshake every month, with this month being the new and delicious Caramel Apple flavor. Seventh Street Cafe is open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

The Commons Cafe 

With The Commons strictly following a mobile ordering system since the pandemic, counter service is finally back! While salads can still be ordered using the GET app all other meal options – including newly added sushi – are now to be ordered in person. Similar to the Bison they will also be featuring a rotating option for specials. The Commons is open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  

Bostwick 

Bostwick highlights, by far, the most variety of food options on campus and within the past year has undergone many positive changes. With brand new furniture and carpets that have been replaced over the summert he caf is looking new and updated, ready to seat all the students at the infamous Cafsgiving in November. The new addition of a smoothie station has been a large success operating during breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Bostwick hours this year are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Babylon Micro-Farms

New to both The Bison and Bostwick are Babylon Micro-Farms. They can be seen behind counters at both locations being managed by the dining staff. This form of sustainable year round hydroponic farming now contributes to salads, smoothies, and ingredients for recipes at both locations. 

Dining Pop Ups

Since the beginning of the semester, many Pop Ups have been set up around campus already. Handing out different treats such as Blue Ribbon Dairy Ice Cream, CeCe J Snacks, Georgie Bagels, Berry Cups and Edible Cookie Dough. Along the same lines, the new Local Scene program will be featured weekly at the Library Cafe. Focaccia Melts and Pepperoni rolls from the Breaking Bread Company will be sold on Mondays and Sunshine Donuts will be sold on Wednesdays. Follow Bucknell Dining on Instagram to stay up to date with new Pop Ups and other updates @bucknelldining. 

The Flyson

The long awaited return of the late night Flyson Truck has finally come to an end. The Flying Bison will be taking its first flight Friday, September 2nd. In honor of its opening, the first seven students in line will be receiving a free Flyson t-shirt along with their favorite dish. Throughout the semester the truck will be selling their t-shirts along with their beloved late night snacks. It is no question that students are filled with excitement hearing news of the truck coming back.

Senior Elliot Thorp reflected on his memories of going to the Flyson his first year at the University. “My fondest memory of the Flyson was running into different friends that I didn’t plan on seeing that night. I was always excited to find out who I’d see when going to grab a late night snack,” Thorp said.

Knowing that only a small percentage of the current University students – the senior class – have had the chance to experience what the Flyson is truly like generates more excitement for juniors and underclassmen.

Regina Stieglitz ’23 shared a heartfelt memory of the Flyson. “As a senior in high school, I had the chance to visit Margoux Vaccari, an older friend of mine at Bucknell. One of the first and very distinct memories from that weekend was our trip to the Flyson. After I then decided to attend Bucknell we became extremely close the three years we had here together. I’m so thankful for that memory and couldn’t be more excited to be back at the Flyson this weekend,” Stieglitz said.

Without a doubt the lines for the Flyson its opening weekend will be just as long and maybe longer than before the pandemic. The hours for the truck this year will be Fridays and Saturdays from 12 a.m. to 3 a.m. and also Saturday afternoons from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.