Bison Women’s Tennis had a successful Bucknell Invitational

Lauren+Medeiros+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Lauren Medeiros / The Bucknellian

Hannah Stuck, Contributing Writer

The Orange and Blue Women’s Tennis team had a successful opening weekend by going 5-1 in singles and 3-1 in doubles on Friday

Tyne Miller ’24 started off the day strong with a win, coming 6-1, 6-1 over a Saint Francis opponent in a singles match, while rookies Abby Platt ’26 and Mirra Manolov ’26 both won for the Bison, securing their first victories for the Orange and Blue. 

Anna Lajos ’25 beat a Mount St. Mary’s opponent 6-2, 6-1. Madi Sebulsky ’24 had a win in the B Singles Flight, beating her Saint Francis opponent 6-1, 6-1. 

All the members of the Orange and Blue moved onto the quarterfinals for singles.

On the doubles end, Miller and Platt also competed, beating Lafayette 6-1 in the A flight. In the B flight, Whitney King ’25 and Caroline Marcus ’25 won 6-0. Kate Novak ’24, partnered with Manolov, also moved on in the tournament. 

Manolov then continued her streak, winning two more singles matches to advance to the finals in the B Singles flight, while Miller and Anna Lajos won their quarterfinal matches. Miller and Platt ended up taking third place in the competition. 

“This past weekend was a great success,” Miller said. “It is always so awesome to be able to host our first competition of the year. It was so exciting seeing the new freshmen compete for the first time on our courts and competing alongside all the returners again. We’ve been working so hard already this year and have such great team spirit that this was the best way to kick off the year.”

Going into Sunday, Miller and Lajos came up short, losing in the semifinals for the A Singles flight. Manolov continued her stellar performance, making it to the B Singles Championship. Unfortunately, she fell lost to the singles opponent from Mount St. Mary’s in the finals. 

The Orange and Blue compete in three weeks at the West Point Invitational Sept. 23-25.