Blue and Orange women’s soccer finish weekend on a high note

Charlotte Dursee, Contributing Writer

This past week, the women’s soccer team started off with an unfortunate loss to Towson. However, the Bison redeemed themselves Sunday afternoon against No.17 West Virginia University. They held the game scoreless against a nationally ranked opponent.

On the road, Bison fell 2-0 to Towson Tigers in a hard fought match. Despite being unable to convert, the Bison had a number of impressive attempts on goal. In the final minutes of the game Rylee Donaldson ‘23 made attempts to set Paige Temple ‘25 up with a quick through ball. Sydney Hess ‘26 and Teresa Deda ‘25 each had close shots in the final minutes of the game, but none made their way to the back of the net. 

The Bison ended with 12 shots on goal, seven of which were had in the second half. Keeper Jenna Hall ‘24 finished with three saves.

Sunday afternoon, Hall helped lead the defense with six saves and a clean sheet. 

“Our team’s goal was just to deny them from scoring and work extremely hard defensively and capitalize on any attacking chances we got” Henna Andican ‘26 said. On the offensive side, the Bison had many strong attempts that unfortunately did not find their way to the back of the net. 

Late in the first half, Ashley Groeber ‘23 sent a 40-yard cross into the box that met Andican. Andican’s volley was knocked down by West Virginia’s keeper but Andican was able to rebound for a second attempt that wound up over the bar. In the second half, Deda, Andican, and other Bison had many long distance attempts on goal. 

After Sunday’s game Andican added, “it takes everyone to create greatness. If everyone wants something, it’s achievable. Being a freshman on this team has taught me a lot about family and culture and that really shined through in yesterday’s game.”

The Bison look to continue their strong performance against Navy Friday night.