Lewisburg Farmers Market offers local products for community

Photo+courtesy+of+Cristina+Sanvito.+

Photo courtesy of Cristina Sanvito.

Julianna Collins, Contributing Writer

The Lewisburg Farmers Market provides visitors with a selection of fresh and local produce including fruits, vegetables, flowers and a variety of baked goods. 

During the times the market is opened, special events are typically held on Saturdays in the summer and fall seasons including pumpkin picking, milkshake features and other seasonal events. According to the farm’s website, the market has a partnership with a local farm to door delivery service which helps individuals with eating locally. 

Totaling vendors inside and in the outdoor area, there are more than 100. 

Haley Griffin ’23 said she went to the Lewisburg Farmers Market for the first time this past Wednesday and was able to buy her weekly fruits and vegetables.

“All of the vendors at the market were very nice and had a variety of foods for me to choose from,” Griffin said. “I will definitely go back in the future.”

Bucknell students frequently visit and support the market for a quick drive to get fresh produce and locally grown items. 

The grounds where the market is located used to be the Union County fairgrounds. The first auction was held in 1937, according to its website, when the success of the auctions caused the fair to never be held there again. 

Auctions then grew into permanent stands and food vendors, and the market developed into a weekly setup. In 1965, a fire destroyed the initial wooden structure, but a concrete building was constructed — which is the same building currently being used.  

Callie Sullivan ’23 enjoys visiting the market frequently and purchasing fresh produce as well.

“[The Lewisburg Farmers Market] is a great way to promote sustainable eating habits and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation of food, while also supporting farmers and small businesses in our communities,” Sullivan said. “Some of my favorite items to pick up include peaches and apples from K. Schlegel Fruit Farm, sourdough bread from Catherman’s Bakery, and any of the seasonal maple products from Terrapin Ridge Farms.” 

In 2021, the Lewisburg Farmers Market partnered with Crossroad Farms to offer a farm to door delivery service. 

The market is open every Wednesday from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. and is located at 499 Fairground Rd Lewisburg. On Oct. 22, the market will host an Apple Harvest Festival from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. 

For more information about the Lewisburg Farmers Market, visit their website, Instagram or Facebook page to learn about upcoming events and sign up for updates about new vendors at the market.