Bison Men’s Tennis team has a competitive weekend at Binghamton

Hannah Stuck, Contributing Writer

The Bison Men’s Tennis Team fought well this past weekend at the Haggerty Championships, hosted by Binghamton University.

Harrison Gold ’24 started off the weekend on a great note by getting two victories in his opening matches of the year. The First Team All-Patriot League selection won 6-2, 6-1 over Niagara. Brendan McDonald ’26 hopped on the court with Gold, with the pair winning 6-1 in doubles over Army in the Green Flight. 

Michael Owen ’23 and Gui Padilha ’26 also brought home a doubles win for the Bison on the opening day, beating Binghamton 7-5 in the White Flight. 

On Saturday, Gold beat Army 5-7, 7-6, 10-5 in singles to advance to the finals in the Lane Flight. Gold ended the day in second place, falling to Siena 6-1,6-7, 10-7. 

Owen beat Colgate 6-4, 6-2, in the Pollard Flight, concluding his singles play. Ink Chen ’23 and McDonald both fell in their singles matches on Saturday. 

On Sunday, Gold and McDonald won over a Colgate doubles pair, but then the Raiders came back and beat them in the finals in the Green Flight. 

In the White Flight, Owen and Padilha beat Siena’s duo, but then Siena got revenge on them in the finals 7-5. 

“This weekend’s performance was my first slice of competition since last spring after dealing with sickness and injury at the beginning of this semester so it was great to get some wins and be back out there with my teammates,” Gold said. “It was also my first time playing under our new coach Jason Cohen who is an outstanding addition to our program. Bucknell Tennis is definitely a team to look out for this year with the addition of 4 amazing freshman players.”

The Bison Men’s Tennis team is back in action at Richmond’s River City Open in two weeks.