Women’s Soccer splits weekend 1-1 at home


Lauren Medeiros / The Bucknellian

Charlotte Dursee, Contributing Writer

Bison Women’s Soccer hosted Princeton hoping to continue their two game win streak last Tuesday night.

Princeton was able to score early on and in the final minutes to win 2-0. Their first goal came from a corner kick about ten minutes in. The Orange and Blue continued to put up a fight despite being down 1-0.

Abby Gearhart ’23 came close in the first half to scoring after she intercepted a pass and put up a shot that nearly went in the top right corner.

The Bison continued into the second half with a couple attempts on goal. Kenar Gelman ’24 and Rylee Donaldson ’23 each put forth promising crosses that Princeton unfortunately got to first each time.

Princeton scored their second goal of the game in the eighty-third minute. Unfortunately, the Bison were unable to come back. 

“My team took the tough loss against Princeton as motivation to not only stay positive but to bounce back and show the other teams in our league that we don’t settle for losses and will continue to try and win,” Teresa Deda ’25 said. 

The Bison flipped a switch Saturday afternoon in their second home game of the week against Holy Cross. 

“We try to stick by the mentality that we win or lose as a team, so after that loss we took into account what we did wrong and improved those things in the next game,” Deda said. 

The team led the first half 1-0. The first goal came from rookie Henna Andican ’26 in the final seconds of the first half. Meghan White ’26 put up a shot that bounced off the crossbar but Andican was there for the rebound.

Holy Cross was able to score fifteen minutes into the second half of the match. However, the Bison responded to this goal, scoring four more in a span of 10 minutes. 

Gearhart contributed two goals and an assist to the impressive Bison victory. Andican had one goal and added two assists. Deda and Hannah Stuck ’24 were responsible for the other two goals. 

Geahart’s first goal started from a throw-in. Andican found Petie Nassetta ’23, and she played the ball to Geahart, who ripped a ball 25 yards from the goal. Two minutes later Deda dribbled the back line, took a shot outside the box and scored her first goal of the season.

Deda then recorded her sixth assist of the season as she set up Andican for her assist to Gearhart. The final goal from the Bison came from Stuck who headed in a corner kick from Reese Evans ’25.

The Bison finished with 18 shots on goal compared to Holy Cross’ total of seven. The Orange and Blue look to improve their record of 3-1 in league play and 6-5-1 overall this Friday as they travel to Lafayette College. 

(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)