Bison Football falls to Yale

Clara McCormick, Sports Editor

The Bison football team presented some exceptional defense against Yale in New Haven, Conn., but could not overcome the Bulldogs on Saturday.

The defense came up with five takeaways including four interceptions. This was the first time the Bison intercepted four passes in a game since Sept. 30, 2000.

Brent Jackson ’23 contributed 12 tackles and his first career interception. Jonathan Searcy ’23, Gavin Pringle ’23 and Alex Smith Jr. ’25 contributed picks. John Schlendorf ’25 also tallied seven tackles, a sack and a forced fumble.

Offensively, Rushawn Baker ’25 rushed for 113 yards and a touchdown on 20 carries for the Orange and Blue, and sophomore quarterback Ethan Grady completed 13 out of 26 pass attempts for a total of 102 yards. 

Also contributing points for the Bison was rookie kicker Matt Schearer ’26, who scored a 39-yard field goal, the first field goal of his career. 

This kick was the first time Bucknell scored first in a game this season. 

While the Bison eventually fell to the Bulldogs 29-9, there were many positive and confidence-inducing moments in the game. 

Senior Matt McCreight spoke about this confidence, as they head to Bethlehem, Pa. this Saturday to take on Lehigh. 

“We’re excited because Lehigh is a rivalry for us, and it’s always a good game,” McCreight said. “We’re confident that we’re going to get our first win this week.”

The game will be at noon on Oct. 22, and can be streamed on ESPN+.