Management 101: Support the Lewisburg community

Dora+Kreitzer%2C+Print+Presentation+Director+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Dora Kreitzer, Print Presentation Director / The Bucknellian

Connor Bennett, Staff Writer

Introduction to Organization and Management (MGMT 101) is a core class for students studying in the Freeman College of Management. Offered in both the fall and spring semesters, the course teaches students management theories, concepts and models. 

An aspect unique to this specific course is the opportunity for students to design and manage their own companies and participate in service projects through the selling of products. Each company raises money for a charity of their choice and is able to integrate business with service work. 

Companies partner with a business or charity–typically in the local area. Once their semester concludes, the students from that group are then able to donate their profits, positively working for the betterment of the community.

While companies can make their choices as to what they intend to sell, it is popular to find these groups of students tabling throughout the semester in the ELC to sell their products to students in passing.

Within the company, students take on different roles to mimic real life corporations. These roles include CEO, VP of Accounting and Financial Management, VP of Fundraising and more. Members also become a part of different committees such as fundraising, service, communications and more. This course that is seen as a staple for Bucknell management students enables them to organize and oversee the success of their company from start to finish.

The four management companies for this Fall 2022 semester began their product sales in past weeks, and three have taken the time to explain their accomplishments and goals.

Cruising to the Summit

This MGMT 101 company is partnered with Summit Early Learning to raise money for their childcare center. Summit Early Learning Center is a local child care facility located in Lewisburg. 

Providing childcare to children through the age of 12, many are children of Bucknell professors and faculty members. In order to raise money for the center, Cruising to the Summit organized multiple events and fundraisers. 

Some of the events the company organized were a fall fun run, online fundraiser and selling of merchandise. The fall fun run and online fundraiser were able to raise over $5000 dollars of profit that will go directly to Summit Early Learning childcare center. 

The company divided their time to be able to advertise in person and sell shirts in the ELC mall. The company also runs an Instagram account named @cruisingtothesummit that highlights what the company has been doing and sells merchandise. The sweatshirts they sell are available on Instagram to anyone, and all proceeds will be donated to the Summit Early Learning child center. 

Ascending Summits

Partnering with Cruising to the Summit, the Ascending to Summit company is also working to help raise money for the Lewisburg Center of Summit Early Learning. Their goals are to help make updates to the center to improve the experience of students and faculty.  

Jess Ryan ’25, the Vice President of Service for the company, was able to share what her time being a part of the company has been like.

“We want to help the Summit Early Learning community because of the importance of childhood education and the impact that this daycare has on young children,” Ryan said. “Our experience has been so unique because two companies have not worked together with one service partner in over 10 years. This process has been so rewarding because we have been able to get so much done for Summit.” 

With the two companies coming together, the collection of 50 students rather than 25 have totaled close to 600 service hours.

Ryan continued on to say, “Inside the center, we have painted five classrooms and several murals around the school and have provided them with a new bookshelf and organized reading nook. Outside, we have power washed the exterior, reorganized two sheds, and filled in playground areas that needed more mulch to prevent tripping hazards.”

The companies have also worked outside of Summit improving the landscape. They added mulch to the exterior and created raised garden beds for the children to plant in. They also have built picnic tables for the kids.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with my team to build our service plans for Summit. What started with Summit’s request for a coat of paint here and there, has turned into renovations to the entire indoor and outdoor areas of the center. I am thrilled with all we have accomplished for such a great cause to aid early childhood education,” Ryan said.

Doing Deeds for Dogs in Need

Another MGMT 101 company, Doing Deeds for Dogs in Need, is partnered with Patriot K9 Rescue in Elysburg and William Cameron Engine Company in Lewisburg. The students provided manual labor and volunteer service in order to make the duties of local first responders “effective, efficient and easily executed.” 

Aside from volunteer work, the company also raised money for the two organizations they partnered with. Through a golf tournament held at Bucknell Golf Club, the company was able to raise around $1,650 for their partnerships with local Lewisburg businesses sponsoring individual holes as well as donating directly to the event. 

The company also organized a car demolition fundraiser. The event attracted a crowd of nearly a hundred students, and engine company members demonstrated a Jaws of Life extraction from a car. The demonstration was able to show how first responders need to act and the importance of them in saving lives.

“I have had a great time so far in MGMT 101,” Shay Gillearn ’25, a member of Doing Deeds, said. “It has been great to get out into the community and get real world experience instead of a traditional classroom lecture.” 

Shay is just one of the many students who plays an important role in their company’s operations. 

The TAs of MGMT 101 

After completing the course, students who excelled have the opportunity to TA and guide future companies on a path to success. 

“MGMT 101 was one of the first classes I took,” current TA Ben Sandusky ’23 said. “It helped me frame my education around a pure form of management. I love my role as a TA because it is cool to watch colleagues turn into friends by working together toward a common goal.” 

It is evident upon speaking with different students who have been a part of the MGMT 101 course that working towards a common goal is a theme amongst all of the companies. The combination of service and management shows students it is not always about earning the most profit but making an impact on your communities through service and volunteer work.