Former Bucknell employee charged with threats against university president

Jaxon White, Editor in Chief / The Bucknellian

Jaxon White, Editor in Chief

A former Bucknell employee has been charged after allegedly threatening university officials and traveling to President John Bravman’s home last week. 

Raymond Kacyon Jr., a 55-year-old Danville resident, has been charged with terroristic threats, resisting arrest from law enforcement, disorderly conduct and harassment, following an incident at President Bravman’s home on University Ave. at 4:50 p.m. on Jan. 11.  

Kacyon worked at Bucknell University as the facilities designer and system coordinator until 2019, said Bucknell Communications Director Mike Ferlazzo. Ferlazzo said he couldn’t share why Kacyon no longer works for the University.

According to a public criminal complaint filed by a Public Safety officer, Kacyon sent threatening text messages about Bucknell administrators and traveled to Bravman’s on-campus residence, acting “erratically” while making his way to the door. 

Police said Kacyon then resisted arrest from responding officers, including Chief of Public Safety Anthony Morgan. Kacyon was placed in the back of a marked patrol vehicle and repeatedly kicked the windows of the back seat, leading to Kacyon being medically sedated, said law enforcement.

Kacyon paid his $25,000 bail, according to Magisterial District Judge Jeffrey Rowe’s office, and he has a preliminary hearing at the Union County Courthouse on Feb. 9 at 2 p.m.

Morgan said he could not elaborate on efforts being made to protect Bravman and students after the incident, but he said to The Bucknellian that officers “certainly are doing everything we can to ensure the safety, security and well being of the President of the institution, like we would any member of Bucknell.” 

A Public Safety vehicle has been parked outside of Bravman’s house since the incident. 

A campus alert was emailed to the student body roughly one hour after the alleged incident took place, saying there was “no safety threat to the campus community” and that neighboring roads were closed for the time being.

Trevor Drescher ‘25, who walked past the crime scene before the campus alert was sent, said he saw a number of Public Safety vehicles and officers surrounding Bravman’s house. 

“I could not help but to think that the president’s family could have been involved,” Drescher said. “That evening I searched news sources but did not find anything about the incident. I then received the campus email, however, this did not ease my worries for the community and specifically the people living near the University Avenue intersection.” 

When asked about the delay in sending the campus alert, Morgan said all of Public Safety’s resources “were committed,” and “…this wasn’t an active situation where we were dealing with someone who was able to access any part of campus, or place, students, or the broader campus community, or broader Lewisburg community in any sort of harm or danger. It was quickly contained.”