Athlete of the Week: Cecelia Collins ‘25

Caleb Wooten, Staff Writer

Bucknell Women’s Basketball has been playing outstandingly, as they extend their winning streak to five games. This win streak is currently the second longest in the Patriot League. 

In the team’s victories over Colgate and Navy, sophomore captain Cecelia Collins ’25 showed exactly why she was voted as a member of the Preseason All-Patriot League Team. 

Despite missing over a month due to injury, Collins has come back better than ever. In the Bison’s last two wins, the sophomore sensation is averaging 18.5 points per game on 61.9 percent from the field, 50 percent from three and 83 percent from the free throw line, while also adding in 3.0 assists per game. 

“When I first came back from injury, I was mainly just trying to shake the rust off,” Collins said. “These past two games I’ve been able to start to get my rhythm back which has been really nice. Winning obviously helps, and my teammates have been finding me in all the right places, which has made everything go even better. I’m also still trying to get back to 100 percent, as I’m still dealing with a bit of soreness, so I’m just trying to do what I can in order to be ready for the end of the year.”

Collins has seemingly shaken off all rust in only a little time and has continued to lead the group to success. 

The current sophomore is coming off of a historic rookie season, where she was Second Team All-Patriot League and made the Patriot League All-Rookie Team as well as the the Patriot League All-Tournament Team. Throughout the 2022 season, she was also a four-time Patriot League Rookie of the Week. 

This year, Collins has had major expectations, as she has been tasked with helping lead a talented young team. 

“This winning streak has been really good for us, especially considering how young we are,” Collins said. “We have beaten some really good teams and it’s definitely helped propel us and build key momentum for the rest of the year. So many underclassmen have been key contributors for us, and everyone’s done a great job. For me, I just have to let the game come to me and help my teammates in any way possible. If everyone continues to trust each other, I think we can win a lot of games.” 

The Orange and Blue look to continue their hot streak at home against Boston University on Saturday Feb. 18.