Women's soccer ends losing streak

By Andrew Arnao

This week, the women’s soccer team lost to Marist 2-1 in double overtime, but ended its losing streak with a 0-0 tie against Mount St. Mary on Tuesday. Brigit Falcón ’15 scored the only goal for the Bison during the two games, while goalie Sandita McDermott ’13 had a career high 14 saves against Marist and recorded a 110-minute shutout over Mount St. Mary.

Marist started things off on Friday by scoring their first goal in the opening seven minutes. Marist put pressure on the Bison defense, taking 12 shots in the first 35 minutes, but was unable to break through. Falcón scored her goal on the first shot the Bison took 10 minutes before the half, with the assist going to Taryn Boucher ’13. The score remained knotted at one until almost the 107th minute, when McDermott made a spectacular save – giving her career-high 14 on the game – by tipping a shot over the crossbar. The save gave Marist a corner kick, which was then knocked over the goal line for the decisive point.

“The game on Friday was a tough one,” Falcón said. “Both sides fought hard the entire game. It’s obviously pretty disappointing taking a game into overtime and not getting the result we wanted, especially at home. We need to keep more possession and knock the ball around more in their half of the field. We also want to mark tighter and not lose track of our runners.”

Tuesday’s game against against Mount St. Mary, a makeup previously cancelled by bad weather, ended in a 0-0 tie. The Bison offense was in control most of the game, owning a 19-5 shot advantage, but was unable to capitalize on several scoring opportunities. McDermott recorded her second shutout of the season and the first 110-minute shutout of her career after recording two saves.

“We had the better of play almost the whole game,” Cassie Denger ’15 said. “We had a lot of chances that were inches away from the net and our defending was solid the whole game. We kept possession in the middle of the field, and we were able to make runs up top to create opportunities.”

“The game was pretty much dominated by us and we only lost possession of the ball when we made a mistake,” Jenna Tryon ’13 said. “We control the game and can really be dominant when our heads are together and in it completely.”

“We had players in different positions than they are used to, but the new roles seemed to work better for us,” Liz Dwornik ’14 said. “We discovered that some players are able to help the team more at a different position.”

After finishing non-league games with a record of 2-6-1, the Bison hope to begin Patriot League playing strong on Saturday at 4 p.m. away against Colgate.

“The best and most important improvement that we need to have [against] Colgate is to keep up the intensity from the first whistle to the last and score some goals,” Tryon said. “You have to score to win.”