Men’s Lacrosse falls to Marist

Lauren+Medeiros+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Chris Azzam

Lauren Medeiros / The Bucknellian

Madison Rehak, Staff Writer

This past weekend the Bucknell Men’s Lacrosse team matched up with Marist for their final non-conference game prior to beginning Patriot League play. 

The Bison had a strong start to the game. In the first few minutes of play, the Bison put up four goals consecutively by Will Hopkins ’23, Dutch Furlong ’24 and Michael Meyer ’23, giving them a 4-1 goal lead over Marist. 

This opening showed promise for the Orange and Blue. Throughout the next 30 minutes, however, the Bison struggled to put any more points back on the board for the rest of the first quarter and the entire second quarter. 

The Bison were outscored by Marist with five goals in the first quarter and four goals in the second quarter. Marist had a consecutive eight goal run in the first half after the Bison initially took the lead. The score going into the second half was 4-9. 

Marist was able to get a goal off starting the second half, but it was soon rebutted by Chris Begier’s ’26 first collegiate goal, bringing the momentum back for the Bison. 

Cam Doolan ’25, Furlong and Jack Dudas ’25 were also able to put up goals in this half to even out the score for the Bison. 

Bucknell locked down and had a brick-wall defensive unit during the third quarter, with the help of first year goalkeeper Jaz Zanelli ’26 who was able to finish with 10 saves, assisting in the comeback. 

In the last few remaining minutes of the game, the Red Fox goalkeeper had two essential game-changing saves that did not benefit the Orange and Blue. The goalies saves made it possible for Marist to fire off three quick goals. Marist took the lead at 13-10 with only minutes left in the game. 

Hopkins was able to fire off another goal, but was quickly returned by Marist, leaving the final score for the game, 11-14. This was the first time in eight competitions that Marist has beat Bucknell. 

Furlong recorded a hat trick and registered an assist for this game, while Dudas also capped his first career hat trick for Bucknell. 

The freshman class performed outstandingly for the Bison, as Meyer, Begier and Hopkins had multi-point runs in this game. Bucknell additionally outshot Marist 44-39. 

“This is not the way our season was supposed to start and quite frankly, it is unacceptable,” Dudas said. “However, I am confident that this early season adversity will help propel us to success come Patriot league play. We can only win one game at a time, so we will have to attack each game like it could be our last.”

Bucknell Men’s Lacrosse will be competing in their first Patriot League game of the season, facing off against Boston University, at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium Saturday March 11 at 1 p.m.. You can also keep up to date with the live statistics and results of the game on the Bucknell University Athletics Webpage or by tuning in to ESPN+.