Women’s Tennis closes the weekend with two victories

Aiden+Tacker+%2F+The+Bucknellian+

Aiden Tacker / The Bucknellian

Noor Kaur, Staff Writer

This past weekend, Bucknell Women’s Tennis competed against Loyola on Friday and Marist on Sunday, dominating the courts with a 7-0 win against both schools. 

The Bison faced their first league opponent this season, Loyola, and with it earned their first league win. 

Tyne Miller ’24 came back to win the No. 3 singles (5-7, 6-3, 7-5) to clinch the competition, adding to the four straight sets. 

Abby Platt ’26 also came back, winning 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4 singles. 

Whitney King ’25 and Anna Lajos ’25 won their respective matches to boost the Bison. Lajos endured two tiebreakers to earn her victory. 

Kate Novak ’24 won the No. 5 singles, and Mirra Manolov ’26  won the No. 6 singles. 

In the doubles competition, King and Platt worked together to earn a 6-3 win. Miller and Lajos formed a team to win 6-4. 

Moving to Sunday, Bucknell continued on their winning streak against Marist. Lajos won third place in the singles competition with a 6-1, 6-4 score. 

Fellow sophomore, King, rose to the top singles position with a 6-0, 6-2 victory. 

Platt won the No. 4 singles with a score of 6-1, 6-2, earning her a second weekend undefeated. 

Novak and Caroline Marcus ’25 also won their singles matches. 

King and Platt paired up again to win 6-1. Marcus and Madi Sebulsky ’24 won 6-2 over their opponents at No. 3 doubles. 

After this weekend, the Bison have won the last seven of their eight matches and sit with their first league win. 

“It was an electric weekend playing for Bucknell Women’s Tennis after sweeping both Loyola and Marist 7-0,” Platt said. “We gave 100 percent in all of our matches and the team showed more passion and spirit than ever. It will be a great segue into our spring break trip to Charleston, as we will be competing in three matches. I’m so proud of how our season has been going, and the team has so much more potential to prove.” 

The women’s tennis team will travel to South Carolina to compete against the College of Charleston, South Carolina State and Charleston Southern over spring break.