Women’s History Month 2023 at Bucknell

Layout by Haley Beardsley ’24, Print Presentation Director.

Juliana Rodrigues, Special Features Editor

The national celebration of Women’s History Month started 42 years ago. According to womenshistorymonth.gov in 1981 congress petitioned for the president to name the week of March 7 during the following year, 1982, Women’s History Week.

Over the years this evolved into proclamations for the entire month of March as a designated Women’s History Month. This month-long celebration has been officially nationally recognized annually since 1995. 

Women’s History Month on Campus

Wednesday March 1, 2023, marked the beginning of this year’s Women’s History Month. Bucknell has designated various events and forms of appreciation to celebrate and recognize the achievements of women in the United States and Bucknell history.

Bucknell’s Office of Diversity, and Inclusion worked in collaboration with the Women’s Resource Center to put together the opportunities for students during Women’s History Month and International Women Month. 

With the goal of working towards menstruation equity the office has organized a Menstruation Product Drive for the entire month. The drive is accepting donations of new and unopened pads, tampons or period underwear. Donations can be brought to the Women’s Resource Center in the Elaine Langone Center room 063. All donations will be made to a menstrual equity organization in Philadelphia No More Secrets.

On March 2, 9, 16 and 23 the office put together Ukrainian Folk Dance Workshops. The opportunity to learn this traditional form of dance and celebrate Ukrainian culture welcomes individuals of all skill levels. The workshops are taught by dance teacher Larisa Sheremeta who is a Ukrainian dancer herself. Participants in the workshops will also have the opportunity to perform on March 29 at the International Women’s Month Celebration. Lessons take place at noon in Gerhard Fieldhouse 236 and admission for students to the workshop is free.

This past Wednesday on March 8, Bucknell hosted the performer and spoken word poet Denice Frohman. She put on her performance at Uptown free of charge for students and staff. According to the Office of Diversity, and Inclusion “…her work explores the complexities of language, lineage, queerness, and the colonial relationship between the United States and Puerto Rico.”

Before her performance, Bucknell student Ricky Rodriguez ’23 opened the show. 

For the Women’s Resource Center’s “Women of Color Wednesday” on March 8, Frohman also facilitated a poetry writing workshop for women of color. The workshop centered around learning to use poetry as a tool to enact social change.

Students can register for the LeadHERship Conference on Saturday March 11 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Hosted on campus by MACUHO the day will feature a speaker, professional development opportunities and wellness options. Registration for the conference is open to anyone. Students can pay $30 for registration and the fee for professionals is $60.

During women’s history month this year the Bucknell Athletics Title IX Committee is coming together to celebrate their 50 years of Title IX. The department has invited women varsity athletes to a networking event and panel discussion. Working with women from the Bucknell Athletics Hall of Fame students have the chance to speak with former members of the Women’s Track and Field Team, the Soccer Team, and a former head coach. Women varsity athletes are able to attend both events on March 24. The Networking Event takes place in the Terrace Room of the Elaine Langone Center at 5 p.m. and the Panel Discussion is taking place in Trout Auditorium at 7 p.m. 

Notable Bucknell Women Alumni

Barbara F. Walter graduated from Bucknell as a double major in Political Science and German in 1986. She went on to study at The University of Chicago, Harvard University, and Columbia University. Walter is currently a professor at the University of California San Diego. She is a political scientist who is the author of a New York Times bestselling novel “How Civil Wars Start (and How to Stop Them)” . Walter is set to speak at Bucknell on April 4 as a part of the Bucknell Forum. 

In 1983 Jane T. Elfers graduated from Bucknell. During her career she went on to become the chief executive of Lord & Taylor department store and is currently the CEO and the president of The Children’s Place clothing store. Elfers is a member of the Bucknell Board of Trustees. 

Jessica Jackley graduated from Bucknell in 2000 as a Philosophy and Political science double major. She went on to study and earn her masters in business at Stanford University. During her career Jackley was the co-founder and chief marketing officer of Kiva.org–a micro lending website.. After Kiva she was the co-founder and CEO of Pro-Founder. Jackley has also taught at both Stanford University and University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business.