Bucknell honors outstanding employees for dedicated service

Emily Paine
Photo Courtesy of Emily Paine / Bucknell University

Earlier this month, on Aug. 14, University President John Bravman awarded the 2023 Geiger and Zeller Awards to four members of Bucknell University staff. Nominated by colleagues, these awards honor employees for their eagerness and enthusiasm to go the extra mile for their coworkers and the students they serve. 

The John F. Zeller Memorial Award for Support Staff Excellence

This award is in honor of the late Bucknell Vice President for Business and Fiscal Affairs and General Counsel Emeritus, John F. Zeller. Its purpose is to showcase support staff who present consistent excellence in the conduct of their responsibilities and stellar ratings in job performance. This year’s recipients were Kim Schon, Academic Assistant for the Biomedical Engineering Department and Jack Reich, Custodial Section Supervisor, Facilities. 

Coworkers of Schon noted the warm and welcoming environment that she creates for students who are a part of the Biomedical Engineering (BME) community to feel respected and comfortable. She makes an effort to make connections with students and congratulate students on their achievements. Schon is the advisor to the Bucknell Biomedical Engineering Society, and has worked closely with her pupils to plan events such as social events, guest speakers, alumni panel and Engineering Week. As an academic assistant, she always tries to form close relationships with students and offer insight into their individual perspectives. One colleague said, “Kim is not just the face of BME in our office, she is the heart of BME.”

Reich is the custodial section supervisor for the Lower Campus and is tasked with giving support for large-scale University events as well as events that happen externally. He has excelled in providing excellent communication and collaboration skills, and one of his colleagues said that he is a “responsive problem-solver who is willing to make last-minute modifications and adjustments to ensure the University maintains its first-in-class reputation.” Reich is known for his friendships with students and for having a well built team mentality. 

The Walter C. Geiger Memorial Award

Dedicated to the late director of the Bucknell Physical Plant, this award acknowledges administrative staff who show sustained excellence and who embody Bucknell’s core values. The awards recipients this year were Dana Mims, Executive Director, Events Management and Dawayne Betzer, Grounds Manager, Facilities.

Mims heads the planning and fulfillment of major events on campus such as the Bucknell Forum national speaker series, Senior Sunset, Homecoming & Family weekend, Reunion and Commencement. Her leadership and effort guarantees each event runs smoothly. Her nominator said her “work ethic, attention to detail, thoughtfulness toward others and ability to provide steady leadership under changing and challenging circumstances” are just a few of the reasons she deserves this praise.

Betzer is in charge of a team of groundskeepers consisting of 21 people who are responsible with the task of ensuring Bucknell’s campus is running smoothly and is looking its finest. Whether that is snow removal or grass being cut on fields Betzer’s hard work and leadership can be seen all throughout campus. His nominating colleges cite his welcoming spirit as the main reason for this award. Betzer works closely with Admissions to make sure that all areas of campus are immaculate. He also worked with the Class of 2023 to assist with their tree planting event and the Senior Tribute in the Grove. His nominator said, “He is very positive in his outlook toward life and demonstrates that uplifting and accepting attitude in his dealings with vendors, students, faculty, staff and visitors.”

The Maxwell award is also usually included in the University’s annual honors. It recognizes project groups, task forces and functional teams who make significant contributions to the community at Bucknell.

An in-person ceremony was held to honor the faculty and staff before the beginning of the fall semester.