They’re Here! Welcome Class of 2027!

Juliana Rodrigues, Special Features Editor / The Bucknellian

Throughout the past two weeks, Bucknell has welcomed its new first-years, the Class of 2027. Students moved in and participated in Pre-Orientation, New Student Orientation and more on campus programs to integrate them into the Bucknell community. These programs also aid first year students in the process of acclimating to college life. Dedicated Bucknell student leaders worked to ensure the events ran smoothly and volunteered their time to welcome these new students. 

Pre-Orientation Programs

Pre-Orientation programs are a way for students to jump-start their Bucknell experience. Although they are not required, many first year students choose to participate in these programs to meet other students early. There are a vast amount of Pre-O programs offered, and new students can find one that fits their interests. 

BuckWild is one of the more unique programs offered for Pre-Orientation. The five day program takes first year students through the Central Pennsylvania wilderness. Students engage in activities that include hiking, backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing and camping. With Bucknell located so close to the Susquehanna River and the Appalachian trail, first year students truly get to experience what Central Pennsylvania wilderness offers through the BuckWild excursions. 

Another Pre-Orientation program is Global Connections, Cultures & Communities. Students from around the world participate in this program to try and build a global community at Bucknell. Although the program is designed for international students, any first year student can join. 

These are only a few of the many Pre-Orientation programs that were offered by Bucknell during the week leading up to official move in. The programs serve as a way for students to create connections and communities that will last not only during their duration but throughout students’ time at Bucknell. 

New Student Orientation

On Aug. 16, Bucknell welcomed all of its new first year students for the first time. Orientation Assistants, Leaders, Residential Education Staff, Facilities and the football team helped the first year students move in. Year after year, they aim to make the process of moving into a dorm as smooth as possible. With help from students of every grade and multiple organizations, the program fosters a sense of community and school spirit that first years witness as soon as they arrive. 

“Moving into Bucknell was a surreal experience. All of the orientation members and football players waiting for me as I arrived is something I’ll never forget,” said Marc Birch ’27. 

The Orientation Program was planned and organized by Orientation Coordinator Evan Klimas ’24. The goal of the program is always to ease the transition for the first years to college life while making it a fun and memorable experience. 

“New Student Orientation introduces students to the tradition, academics and community that all contribute to the rich tapestry of Bucknell,” Klimas said. “Its ‘students-helping-students’ philosophy shines brightly in the campus’ largest student-led leadership program.”

After the first years moved in, they started an action-packed five days that had plenty of events and meetings to introduce them to Bucknell. One of the main events on the first day of Orientation was the Matriculation ceremony.

At Matriculation, the class receives their pins and walk through the gates at the Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium, marking their beginning here as a Bucknell student. Some of the other main events during Orientation were college specific meetings, the Street Festival, Hall Olympics, ’Ray for the Orange and the Blue and many more. 

Through these fun events, first year students had the opportunity to meet and bond with their hall mates. 

“Although Orientation was long, it really helped me connect with the people in my hall mostly and a few other groups,” said Lauren Goldstein ’27. “My Orientation Assistants made sure to keep everything really fun and check in on us because the first few days were pretty hard being away from home. Overall, it was a really great experience and Bucknell helped make the transition super easy.” 

Orientation Assistants and Leaders played a major role in all of these events taking place. These are volunteer positions that students have to apply to and be selected for. Although the focus of the program is on the first year students, many who participate on the orientation staff share how meaningful and enriching the experience was for them as well.

Megan Collins, a senior Orientation Assistant, shared her thoughts. “It can be nerve-racking leaving home for the first time, so the goal as an OA is to make the transition for every first-year as smooth and seamless as possible,” Collins said. “It was my second time being an OA, so I had some experience trying to acclimate my assigned hall to campus life. My partner and I worked to create an inclusive environment where everyone feels safe, seen, heard and recognized as an individual in that space. I hope the Class of 2027 has the best four years, and everyone should apply to be an OA!!” 

The events of Orientation come to an end with Convocation, a special candle-lighting ceremony in which each student receives a lit candle that are blown out together on the Malesardi Quadrangle, igniting the start of the academic year. The ceremony comes full circle, as it is performed once again by the senior class on the eve of Commencement. 

Following Orientation and the first week of classes, the CAP Center hosted campus-wide events including Bingo Blingo and Bucknell Refresh. With impressive bingo prizes, music, activities and dozens of free food trucks, the first year class has stayed busy since their arrival.