Luis Rubiales’ controversial gesture tteals the spotlight after Spain’s World Cup victory

On Aug. 20, Spain secured their first ever Women’s World Cup trophy after defeating England with a score of 1-0. Elation whisked through the air as the streets of Spain were washed over in the national colors of red and gold. Players fell to their knees in triumph as fans hugged and rejoiced the win. 

In a time where celebration would normally enjoy the spotlight, the Spanish Soccer Federation’s remarkable journey took an alarming turn. During the medals ceremony, the federation’s president, Luis Rubiales, forcibly planted a nonconsensual kiss on the lips of star forward, Jennifer Hermoso.

The video of the kiss quickly flooded social media, with many users expressing concern about the professional context in which it occurred. People across the globe expressed distaste for what they deemed to be emblematic of the sexism that still exists in the world of soccer and in sports culture as a whole. Many spoke out, demanding that Mr. Rubiales resign.

Following the victory, Hermoso said that she did not consent to the kiss and was facing pressure to downplay the act on behalf of President Rubiales’ actions. 

In the immediate aftermath, Mr. Rubiales apologized on video, admitting he made a “mistake.” However, since then, he has insisted that the kiss was mutually consensual and has refused to resign, despite Hermoso and the rest of the national team asserting that they will not play until there is a change of the team managers.

The #MeToo Movement was called into the conversation as well as the topics of gender inequality and sexual harassment, as Mr. Rubiales continues to face harsh criticism from the media and Prime Minister of Spain, Pedro Sánchez. Amidst the backlash, Mr. Rubiales has received strong support from the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), which has affirmed that it will pursue “any necessary legal actions” in his defense.

Since Rubiales’ apology, eleven coaches and technical staff members for Spain’s women’s team have resigned. In addition, FIFA, soccer’s international governing body, has suspended Rubiales for 90 days amid their ongoing investigation of the situation.