The 8 a.m. class struggle

Evelyn Pierce, Graphics Manager / The Bucknellian

The blaring ring of your phone alarm pierces through your dreams, nudging you back into the reality of a bright and early morning. With sheer determination, you defy the warmth of your blankets, rise from your bed and prepare for the day while wondering if you need a coffee. Stepping out into the fresh air and sunlight, you’re ready to face the world (or at least the classroom). 

And then, you finally arrive. You might be wearing a collection of mismatched clothes you hastily put together in the morning. Despite your strongest efforts to appear attentive and to soak in the information being presented, there’s a part of you that is just trying to get through the lecture. 

It’s a shared experience, the 8 a.m. class. Every college student has faced it at some point. As someone who has participated in the 8 a.m. class struggle, I can say with confidence that early classes are among the things I dread most. There are definitely those who embrace sleeping at a reasonable time and starting the day early. But let’s be realistic—college students are not exactly known for adopting an “early to bed and early to rise” lifestyle. For many of us, early classes can be a relentless uphill battle. 

The beginning of the semester is a unique experience for some who are taking early classes. You may think about dropping the class and switching to a different section or course because surely your sleep schedule is more important than some degree requirement, right? Alas, reality hits, and you remember that this class is required for your major. One might even reminisce about the days where early classes were the norm in high school, left to wonder how those days have become a mere distant memory of the past. 

I often find myself wishing for a conversation with whoever decided that 8-9 a.m. are ideal hours for young adults to engage with the inner workings of calculus or examine lengthy, philosophical readings. It’s a very interesting choice when noting that most college students are better acquainted with late-night study sessions and midnight snacks than with early morning lectures.

There are certainly those who readily embrace the early courses, but I believe even they must have encountered days where the struggle became too real. By the time midterms roll around, the 8 a.m. class feels like a guest overstaying its welcome. The truth is, regardless of our various routines and tendencies, morning classes can humble even the most eager risers.

At the end of the day, no matter your class year or major, the 8 a.m. class experience can unite us in a shared journey through stifled yawns and mismatched outfits. Whether you embrace the early hours with enthusiasm or find comfort in the tranquility of late nights, we stand united in this shared experience. This unspoken bond reminds us that even within the groggy morning haze, we are all part of a community that thrives on determination and persistence, one morning class at a time.