First-years experience what Lewisburg has to offer two weeks into start of classes

Aiden Tacker / The Bucknellian

Part of the “settling in” process for the many newcomers to Bucknell’s rural campus is an effort to get to know the local community, in addition to the ins and outs of typical campus life. Most first-years are intrigued by the little “downtown” of Lewisburg—First-Year Orientation offered a brief but welcoming window into the many shops, eateries and establishments of Market Street—and, as their first weeks of true collegiate living go by, they settle into a routine of favorite spots to visit. 

Located right at the center of Market Street, Trevina offers an elevated dining experience for Lewisburg residents to enjoy. Abby Campion ’27 had dinner there with her mom on move-in day; her favorite entrée offered on their menu was the “really delicious flatbread pizza,” and she delighted in the “atmosphere of the restaurant,” calling it calm and rustic. 

A little bit further down the road sits All-Star Bagels, a modest bagel shop that receives appropriately “all-star” reviews from its repeat patrons. Though he usually goes straight for a classic plain bagel with minimal spreads, Lucas Williams ’27 harbors infinite praise for All-Star’s spin on this reliable baked good: “They’re the only place I truly love because the vibes are just perfect, and their bagels are some of the best I’ve ever had,” he says. 

Williams’ claims are corroborated by fellow first-year Johnny Flammer, who had his go-to order ready right off the bat. “I always get the ‘Grand Slam’ bagel,” he says, with the most conviction any bagel order has ever earned. “There’s just no alternative for me.” 

Functioning as both a café and a pet adoption agency, the Scratching Post Cat Café is an unconventional establishment and favorite of students missing their pets back home. Customers to the café can bring their own refreshments and spend quality time with a whole clowder of kitties, getting to know each cat on their own terms. Some people eventually take steps to adopt! 

For Sarah Chaffin ’27, though, the café serves as more of a casual hang-out, a reliable place to recharge and absorb the cuteness of a room full of cats. Sarah’s dad is allergic to cats, so she’s never had the chance to have one of her own despite “always wanting to have a pet like that.” Her enthusiasm for the café is practically bottomless. “It’s like having my own cat, without needing to worry about allergens and long-term care.” Perfect for the cat-loving college student!

These three shops are just the start of what Lewisburg has to offer. Dozens of stores are packed into its few-block radius, ranging anywhere from classic antique shops, to ice cream parlors, to the famous Bucknell Barnes & Noble.

View Comments (1)