Volleyball splits pair of contests at home

By Colin Fields

A re-energized women’s volleyball team defeated Lafayette in straight sets at Davis Gym last Friday, but fell to Lehigh on Saturday. With the win against Lafayette, the Bison erased a sour taste from a tough loss to Navy the previous week, when the Bison took a 2-0 lead  but fell three sets to two.

Against Lafayette, The Bison took the first and second sets with relative ease, 25-18 and 25-22 respectively. Kyleigh McAhren ’12 led the Bison with 15 kills. At the start the third set, Jessica Serrato ’14 recorded back-to-back aces and helped the Orange and Blue to a 4-0 advantage, but the Bison faltered and fell to 18-10. But stellar serving by Emily Sawanobori ’12 and Morgan Mientus ’14 resulted in a 13-3 run that clinched the win. Kebah Edoho ’13 slammed home the final kill to end the third set at 26-24.

“We really wanted to win and were felt very focused entering the Lafayette game; the comeback in the third set felt amazing and we need to do that more often,” Mientus said.

On Saturday, the Bison fell to Lehigh in straight sets. The Orange and Blue kept Lehigh close in the first set but ultimately lost the set 25-19. The Bison fell 25-19 in the second set, and Lehigh took the third set 25-20 despite a solid performance by Serrato, who led the Bison with seven kills, and Kat Tauscher ’13 who tallied up 53 assists over both weekend matches.

“We are really struggling right now. I think we need to do something different and be a little more hungry for wins.  In the Lehigh game we really lost focus and gave them an easy win,” Mientus said.

“I feel good about moving forward in to Patriot League play because we have been having much more intense practices,” McAheren said. “Hopefully we can come out against all odds and dominate Colgate in their own gym this weekend,” Mientus said.

The Bison travel to Hamilton, N.Y. to face Colgate on Saturday before returning for a five-game homestand against Patriot League opponents.