Bucknell Festival of International Shorts

Last Thursday, Sept. 19, the Bucknell Language Council presented the fourth annual Festival of International Shorts. The outdoor event took place on the Science Quad and featured short films from around the world. 

Shorts for this year shared the common theme of humanity coming from Italy, Argentina, Malaysia, Egypt and Germany. The goal of the film event was to encourage the study and appreciation of languages and cultures. Aiming to represent different cultures, many of the films focused on ideas behind what makes us human.

Tessa Brizhik ’26 is a Presidential Fellow for the Language department. Working with Adjunct Associate Professor Lisa Perrone, part of her research work entails running the Student Language Council. Working with representatives from every language studied at Bucknell, Brizhik explained the planning processes and benefits of these on-campus events.

While the event has been recurring for the past four years, Brizhik explained that this was her second year involved with it. The planning began last semester with Professor Perrone. Researching different films from around the world, the two focused on integrating several languages that had not been previously featured as well as keeping some that had. Many of the films also align with languages taught at Bucknell.

“This event can introduce a type of film you might not be watching daily with your friends,” said Brizhik. She continued on to explain her thoughts on the benefits of these events. “Diversity can be a struggle at Bucknell, and events like this help with representation of different cultures.”

She noted the political and social climate from around the world and the impact that can have on what languages they chose to show, saying, “Sometimes it gives us more of a reason to give some representation and change perspectives.”

Zachary Wasserman ’26 got involved with the Festival and Language Council after attending last year as an extra credit opportunity. Wasserman explained not having expected to study language when coming to Bucknell but heavily emphasized the importance and many advantages.

“Events like the film festival can bring internationalization to campus at a basic level,” said Wasserman. He reflected on various conversations regarding internationalization in terms of studying abroad and larger events but recognized the significance of small on campus events that can attract many students.

He continued on to explain the intentions of the film festival as giving international students another opportunity for a tie to Bucknell. Bucknell’s large international population can see films from their culture featuring people who speak their language. He noted that it is also providing access to these films that aren’t on typical American streaming services.

Continuing about representation, Wasserman noted, “By changing the countries featured every year, we’re trying to basically circle the world.”

Professor Perrone also spoke on the benefits of the short films and language council events. “For American students, any type of language learning or learning about other cultures can help us empathize with those different from us,” she said. “Watching a film can maybe help us step into the shoes of those with different perspectives.”

She noted that these films can bring awareness to topics that students may not be familiar with or aware of. Simultaneously they can broaden perspectives and stimulate conversations surrounding topics of different cultures, societies and languages.

The Campus Theatre provided all the necessary equipment to make the outdoor event possible. The films were displayed with an outdoor screen and projector. The weather cooperated, allowing for an enjoyable night that went smoothly. Professor Perrone expressed gratitude to Andy Seal and Brian LeBlanc from the Campus Theatre for their help in the process. 

There was a large turnout, and by the end of the event, students voiced overwhelmingly positive responses. Many students commented that they originally attended for class participation or extra credit and enjoyed the experience more than they anticipated.

The event was sponsored additionally by the Bucknell Language Departments and Programs, Bucknell Humanities Center and the Dalal Family Fund. 

The council’s main form of advertisement for these events has been Instagram. With goals of reaching new and incoming students, they hope to encourage involvement in language studies.

Students looking to get involved with future Language Council events can keep up to date on their instagram @bucknell.language. Language students also looking to get involved with the Council can contact Tessa Brizhik: [email protected] or Professor Perrone: [email protected].