Scary good watches for Halloween

Evelyn Pierce, Graphics Manager / The Bucknellian

The leaves are changing, and the weather is fit for a sweater: it’s fall, y’all. Bucknellians need time to unwind and enjoy the season between midterms and study sessions. Well, there is nothing better to get into the fall mood than apple cider and a good movie. So, what can you watch during this time of change? From scary to silly, I have spooktacular thoughts for your next movie night.

First on my list: scary movies. Everyone likes a good scare sometimes (some more than others), and nothing makes you feel more ready for Halloween than a good spook. You could keep it pretty classic with the Saw franchise. Never a dull moment, the gory movies will keep you on the edge of your seat and praying that you never come face to face with Jigsaw in your life. With 10 films in the series, you will always have a fright to watch. If you’re into psychological horror, Split may be the pick for you. Equally as scary, we watch Anya Taylor-Joy as she tries to escape her kidnapper, a man who has split personality disorder. This film will make you yell at your TV and feel as trapped as Casey. While these are great scary options, I wouldn’t recommend watching these if you like to sleep with your lights off.

I also have fun Halloween movies for those who want to get into the spirit but would rather not be spooked into nightmares. Halloweentown, a Disney Channel original movie, is perfect for the Halloween vibe. We follow Marnie as she discovers her family’s past and has to find a way to save this bizarre world they are a part of. Wholesome and fun, Halloweentown will put you in the fall vibe before you can say pumpkin spice latte. Hotel Transylvania is also a fun way to get into the Halloween spirit without a fright. With Adam Sandler, Selena Gomez and Andy Samberg as the leading voice actors, you know this movie is a classic hit. Funny and heartwarming, this film will surely leave a spooky smile on your face.

If you’re not one for movies, I have the perfect shows for you to indulge in this season. A fall quintessential, Gilmore Girls is the ideal way to get into cozy fall vibes. Following mom and daughter duo Lorelai and Rory through their small town of Stars Hollow, Mass. all decorated for the season with Luke’s coffee in hand will never fail to make you want to find a crunchy leaf to step on. A brief warning: it may be sad if you miss your mom. But, it offers a great chance to call her and watch together come Thanksgiving break. Another great show with a wonderful fall vibe is Gossip Girl. Nothing is more iconic than the “Whatcha Say scene at Lily’s Thanksgiving dinner. The outfits will inspire you for the season, and who doesn’t love a good Blair Waldorf takedown? I know I do.

Fall is the time of change and the time to cuddle up and enjoy the season. So, no matter how much schoolwork you have, take some time to enjoy the season; the leaves are delightful. Happy fall, Bucknellians, and happy watching.