A taste of town: Lewisburg restaurant spotlight

Hayley Leopold, Satire Co-Editor / The Bucknellian

Lewisburg is home to many small businesses that are located within walking distance from campus. Students frequently visit the restaurants and various types of businesses in town involved in the local Lewisburg economy. With the variety of businesses, there are options to engage a wide range of audiences, and the downtown area is typically very busy with Bucknell students.

Amami

Amami is located on Sixth Street and brings authentic Italian-American cuisine to Lewisburg. They serve breakfast and lunch and are even a favorite spot for students to get a quick bite to eat before Super. Amami uses a combination of fresh ingredients with an Italian twist to give students delicious food. Some of the most popular items on the menu are wraps, paninis and their home brewed coffee. “The Gustoso” is a student favorite breakfast panini. It has scrambled eggs, smoked bacon, sausage, gorgonzola, arugula, and spicy mayo. Amami is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day except Monday.

Trevina

Established in 2022, Trevina is a wine and beer bar that offers a unique food and drink experience. Trevina utilizes a self-serve bar. When a customer first enters the establishment, they are given a black card by the hostess. Every wine and beer tap has a machine underneath that the customer places the card into. The machine then charges the customer down to the exact ounce of the amount of the drink they got. This enables customers to try many different drinks for a fair price. Trevina also has signature cocktails and many different food options. Students under 21 looking to try their popular appetizers, brunches or dinners can also sit in or order online. Trevina’s modern style and appeal as a new location does draw a large crowd, so reservations are recommended for those looking to try it out. Trevina opens Wednesday through Saturday at 5 p.m. 

JR’s Soft Pretzels

JR’s Soft Pretzels is just a “small family business living the dream.” Every item on their menu is freshly made from scratch. This includes pretzels, cheesecakes, cupcakes, custom cakes and so many more items. Many students’ favorite items on the menu are the breakfast pretzel rolls. They have different options and are a great way to start the day. The place is entirely family run, and they are a clear representation of a small Lewisburg business. JR’s is located on Market Street and is open Tuesday through Saturday. 

May’s Freez 

This seasonal ice cream shop provides students and the Lewisburg community with a nice way to cool down in the spring and summer. The menu is vast with dozens of different types of ice creams, milkshakes and sundaes customers can buy. The “Pumpkin Pie Stormer” was a popular item on the menu for the fall, and customers still wanted to have it even in the cold. May’s Freez is located on North Derr Drive and is an old school business that accepts cash only. After making its grand opening debut this summer, it has closed for the season and will not be open again until the beginning of spring 2024. 

Gram’s Eatery

Gram’s is a versatile restaurant that offers breakfast and brunch. They feature mainly traditional American food but have expanded their menu to include other cuisines. A Bucknell student favorite from Gram’s is their weekly Taco Tuesday, which has restarted with takeout only after a short hiatus. With typical and non-traditional taco styles, there are many options at reasonable prices. The menu for this past Tuesday included a Latin, Korean, Asian, and Southern taco. Gram’s also has many signature breakfast items such as the “Wrap It Up” breakfast wrap and “Hash It Up” breakfast sandwich complete with Gram’s special sauce. The menu is vast and provides students with plenty of options for food choices. Gram’s is located on Third Street and is open everyday except Monday.

All Star Bagels

All Star Bagels specializes in New Jersey style bagels as well as soups, salads and sandwiches. Many of the students at Bucknell are from the Garden State and crave a taste of home. All Star Bagels does just that and bakes bagels just as good as New Jersey. Their breakfast sandwiches are also a favorite among students. “The Grand Slam” is a breakfast sandwich with two eggs, bacon, cheese and hash browns and is their most popular item. On various dates, All Star also is open at night in collaboration with Cheddar’s Cheesesteaks. Students have the chance to try authentic Philly cheesesteaks on late weekend nights. The establishment is very involved with the Lewisburg and Bucknell communities. Just last week, All Star paired with Chi Omega to raise over $1,700 dollars for the Make a Wish Foundation. This is just one example of how the businesses in Lewisburg and students are intertwined. 

Lewisburg Delicatessen

An authentic Italian deli located right on Market Street, the Lewisburg Deli has everything you would expect from a deli. Everything is homemade and is offered at a fair price. The deli has hot and cold subs, appetizers, sandwiches, desserts, and a variety of cold cuts. Catering is also available at the deli. Mini cannolis are offered through the catering menu and can be a great addition to any party or gathering. The deli also sets up a pop-up shop on St. Catherine’s Street during the day on Saturdays for students. The Lewisburg Deli is open everyday but Sunday and is located on Market Street. 

These are just some of the many restaurants located in Lewisburg. The Bucknell population is a primary supporter of these businesses, and the businesses reciprocate by being a part of the Bucknell community. For a full directory of all of the businesses downtown, students can visit this link.