Dunkin’s new Ice Spice delight: A refreshing twist on fall flavors

It’s fall, the time of year when leaves turn vibrant shades of red and orange and every Bucknell student you pass is bundled up in cozy sweaters, hoodies and cardigans. And, of course, with the changing of the seasons comes the iconic pumpkin spice craze. Admittedly, I have never been a fan of the pumpkin spice trend that has swept the nation since around 2016. In fact, I ordered Dunkin’s new Ice Spice Munchkin drink impulsively as a joke because I was with my friend and I thought to myself, ‘Why not?’ 

After I placed my order and waited for my coffee, I regretted it almost immediately, thinking to myself I just wasted a few dollars on a coffee flavor I’ve never enjoyed even once. I’m a creature of habit, and I usually stick to my trusty caramel coffee. However, my first sip turned my skepticism into genuine delight. 

I’ve seen countless trends come and go, like Mcdonald’s Shamrock Shake and Grimace Shake or Popeyes’ viral Chicken Sandwich, which, in my opinion, were overhyped on social media and often left me disappointed.  

However, the Ice Spice drink is an exception, as it has something truly unique to offer: coffee blended with munchkins! So, what exactly is this delicious concoction? Imagine pumpkin-flavored munchkins blended with frozen coffee, topped with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel. It’s perfection in a cup. 

What sets this drink apart from other seasonal offerings is the perfect balance of coffee flavor; it’s not watered down, as some Dunkin’ coffees tend to be. While the Ice Spice Munchkin drink is undoubtedly a sweet treat, none of the ingredients overpower one another. 

I must admit that I was initially hesitant to try a drink with donuts in it, but the taste is surprisingly enjoyable and pleasant. It creates a delightful, cake batter-like texture with hints of cookies and cream, complemented by the caramel and pumpkin undertones. It offers a unique and satisfying flavor profile that appeals to those with a sweet tooth. 

It’s a testament to the brand’s commitment to innovation and the collaborative efforts of talented individuals like Ben Affleck and Ice Spice. As Jill McVicar Nelson, Chief Marketing Officer at Dunkin’ Donuts, puts it, “Pumpkin spice season has gotten a bit predictable lately, so we sought help from our friends Ben Affleck and Ice Spice to create a new pumpkin obsession that only Dunkin’ can offer.” 

In my book, with its unique blend of flavors and the perfect amount of coffee, the Ice Spice Munchkin Drink has become one of the greatest Dunkin’ coffees of all time. If you’re not typically a fan of pumpkin spice, give this drink a shot; it might just change your mind, as it did mine. I strongly urge all Dunkin’ enthusiasts and coffee lovers to try this extraordinary creation and I also urge Dunkin’ to consider making it a permanent addition to their menu. It’s an ode to the power of creativity and collaboration in redefining seasonal classics. So, this fall, let the leaves fall and the sweaters come out, and don’t forget to treat yourself to the Ice Spice Munchkin Drink.