Embracing Study Abroad: Bucknell students’ global adventures

As we move into the second half of the fall semester, many students are beginning to prepare to say goodbye to Bucknell for a semester to study abroad this coming spring. Although the number of students able to study abroad was lower in recent years as an effect of the pandemic, this number is now steadily increasing once again. 

Deciding to partake in study abroad can be a daunting decision, but it is always helpful to hear from students who have had the experience and have insights to share. Several students of the class of 2024 share on their study abroad experience, and members of the class of 2025 share on their anticipations for the semester ahead.

Bucknell offers a wide variety of options to students studying abroad. With six semester-long “Bucknell In” programs, three exchange programs and over 450 partner programs, there are seemingly unlimited options for students to choose from.

Maggie Heuer ’24 participated in a “Bucknell In” program this past spring in Tours, France. The “Bucknell In” programs are organized and led by Bucknell staff and are composed of a small group of Bucknell students. “The Bucknell en France program was a great way to really be immersed in the language and culture. I used French in almost every interaction I had. The program also provided me with the opportunity to see what it’s like day to day in a small French city.”

Students who do not choose to attend one of these Bucknell led programs often attend one of Bucknell’s many partner programs in which students have the opportunity to take classes at another university with professors from around the world. These opportunities can be found virtually anywhere a student would like to study. Katie Kulesh ’24 studied abroad in Paris where she took part in the ISA program and attended the American Business School of Paris. 

“Initially, studying abroad in Paris seemed quite daunting, as only two of my close Bucknell friends were going with me and I didn’t know many students who had gone before,” Kulesh said. “The unfamiliarity of the city and navigating a new culture sounded intimidating without my entire support system surrounding me. However, as I started classes at my university in Paris, I had the chance to meet and learn with students from across the world. Engaging with my peers’ unique backgrounds broadened my understanding of the world. I quickly settled in and made lifelong friends!”

Similarly, Megan Collins ’24 chose to study in Florence, which is a popular destination for Bucknell students as well as students from many other universities in the U.S. She reflects, saying, “I feel so thankful to have had the opportunity to live and study in such a beautiful city. I was a little nervous to leave Bucknell for such a long time, but I enjoyed every minute and the four months flew by. I got to travel, try new experiences and foods and take interesting classes that I loved!”

An aspect of studying abroad that students enjoy is taking classes that encourage and give students the chance to experience elements of the city and country’s culture.

Annabel Smith ’25, who also chose to go to Florence this coming spring says, “I am excited to be sharing this experience with 70 other Bucknell students. I love the idea of going on this adventure abroad, having new experiences and meeting new people, while continuing to build relationships with my Bucknell classmates.”

Another way to immerse oneself in another country’s culture, that some students take advantage of, is completing an internship while abroad. Kaitlin Settle ’24 shares that her internship program through Boston University in London “was really great hands-on learning. It felt very exciting to commute, have coworkers and an office experience in a different country. It was so easy to get around such a big city because of the tube and bus systems. It made for such a great opportunity to experience so many different aspects of British culture. The food was so, so amazing and I feel like I tried so many new things and had so many new experiences.”

Lulu Coll ’25 will be studying in Madrid this spring. She speaks about the ways she looks forward to embracing the culture in Spain.

“Considering I’ve grown up speaking Spanish I’m super excited to go to Madrid. I’m looking forward to being in an environment that feels like home. I’m planning on taking all of my classes completely in Spanish and truly perfecting my Spanish accent and writing skills. Living in a large city with endless possibilities will give me another perspective of life and education considering it is completely different from what I have experienced going to school in Lewisburg.”

Additionally, Alex Marx ’25 elaborates on what he is looking forward to and the process of applying for a program. “Going abroad was always an opportunity I hoped to take advantage of during my college experience. Through different family members and friends I’ve heard the life-changing stories about spending time studying overseas and experiencing different ways of life. My supportive professors and advisors have made the process of applying and getting accepted into my study abroad program very smooth, and I couldn’t be more excited about my upcoming time in Europe.”

Aside from studying in Europe, another popular option among students is to study in Australia. Bettina Tapiero ’24 says, “Going abroad to Australia was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Even though it may seem scary going across the world especially when most college students are going to Europe, I think this is actually a positive element of the program. Australia is the most amazing place I’ve ever been to with so many different environments and lots of nature to explore, and to miss out on that because I was scared to go without my friends would have been a huge loss.”

Additionally, Connor Martin ’24, who also studied in Sydney shares, “I really don’t think I could have had a better experience abroad than I did in Sydney. Being in the center of the continent’s largest city and just minutes from some of the world’s most pristine beaches, University of New South Wales provides the best of both worlds.”

Lilly Noonan ’25 shares about her excitement and anticipations surrounding studying in Australia this spring. “I can’t wait to go abroad to Sydney as it is an incredible opportunity to do something completely outside of my comfort zone. This process was nerve-racking at first as committing to spend a semester in a location so far away from my home seemed terrifying. As I began to wrap my head around it I have realized that spending a semester in Australia will be a once in a lifetime experience. While I’m there I plan to spend much time exploring Sydney while also hoping to make my way to places like New Zealand and Bali.”

No matter where students choose to study, the ability to easily travel to other countries nearby is a very large draw to going abroad and something students greatly cherish.

The allure of studying abroad lies not just in academic opportunities but also in cultural immersion and travel experiences. Students can engage with diverse cultures, attend classes with global peers and professors and embark on weekend adventures to nearby countries. For those considering studying abroad, Bucknell’s Global Education office and many former participants are invaluable resources, always eager to share on the unlimited options available and their life-changing experiences.