Students take the stage; Fall Dance Showcase

Tonight, close to fifty Bucknell students will be taking the stage in the Tustin Studio Theatre for the Fall Dance Showcase. With performances tonight Oct. 27th at 7:30pm and tomorrow Oct. 28th at 2:00pm and 7:30pm the show will feature student, staff and guest choreography.

Working on choreography and rehearsals throughout the semester auditions for the show took place in August. Students who participated in auditions were assigned to different choreographers to participate in their dance. Some students will be performing in up to three of the showcase dances. 

Of the seventeen dances that make up the show, five are choreographed by students of the Dance department. Student choreography will also be featured in dances from the Bisonettes and the Bison Girls dance teams, as well as the Latin Alliance for Community and Opportunity for Students (LACOS). 

Opening the show are seven students performing Glad. The piece was choreographed by Becky Caruso ’25 and in collaboration with the Theatre department, lighting design for the piece was done by theatre major Alice Jackins ’25.

“My piece is inspired by everyday occurrences and how outside influences impact our day to day life,” Caruso said. “I tried to work with manipulating use of space, partner work, and using the music as a guidance for movement. I am so inspired by my dancers, and I am lucky to be involved in a wonderful production of the showcase this semester!”

Co-Captain of the Bison Girls and member of the Bucknell Dance department Mandy Kaylor ’25 will have her choreography featured in two dances for the show. With ten students assigned to her for her student piece, the dance is entitled Corporate America

“This semester, my musical theatre-style piece focuses on the world of corporate America,” Kaylor said. “My dancers embody corporate workers who have stressful deadlines to meet, are conducting multimillion dollar deals, and are fighting over high paying jobs.” 

Students like Caruso and Kaylor choreographing this semester are students in DANC 262: Dance Composition. With instruction from Professor Er-Dong Hu, dancers work throughout the semester to incorporate different thoughtful aspects of choreography into their pieces. 

Kaylor stated that, “The Fall Dance Showcase provides an inclusive platform for anyone to engage in the art of dance on campus, and I am truly honored to be a part of this inspiring choreographic journey!” 

Kaylor’s Co-Captain from the Bison Girls Jodi Siegel ’25 also worked with her to choreograph the dance team’s piece End of the World. The team features twenty-one Bucknell students from every grade. This feature dance from the Bison Girls will be performed during the Friday night showing only. 

Choreographing a dance with eight students entitled Connections is dance minor and Bison Girls member Emily Cook ’25. “My piece is about connection and is loosely inspired by my own positive connections throughout my life,” Cook said. “I wanted to create an uplifting and exciting piece complete with fun patterns, dynamics, and upbeat music.” 

Lighting for Cook’s piece was also done by Jackins and the piece features music from Tame Impala, Devotchka and Mychael Danna. “I have been so lucky to work with such an incredible cast and I am so grateful to be part of such an amazing show and dance company!” Cook shared.

Aside from student choreography, the show will also feature students from this semester’s DANC 263: Chinese Dance Technique class. Also taught by Professor Hu the dance is entitled Chinese Watersleeves and is performed to traditional Chinese Folk Music. Professor Hu will also have his choreography featured in Waltz of the Flowers, inspired by The Nutcracker with music from Tchaikovsky. 

Students of DANC 120: Modern Dance Technique 1 will be performing choreography done in collaboration with Professor and Director of Dance Kelly Knox. The piece is entitled Breakfast and will feature twelve students. Professor Knox will also have her choreography featured in a second piece entitled The Civilized World. Guest choreography this year is featured from Catri Barba in her piece Dreaming. Six students will be performing in this piece and lighting design was done by Joe Dox ’25. 

In addition to The Bison Girls performance LACOS and The Bisonettes have dance pieces that will be featured. Las Reinas del Perrero is the title of the piece choreographed by Julia Silvia ’27 and Dani Perdomo-Chavez ’25. The dance features music from Ivy Queen and Karol G. 

Performing in the Friday night show and the Saturday matinee are the Bisonettes with their dance Girls Night Out. The piece was choreographed by Junior Captain Krystell Ewing ’24 and President Reece Pauling ’24. The dance will feature twelve dancers from the team and music from various artists including Capella Grey, Missy Elliot, and Ludacris ft. Nicki Minaj. 

Admission to the Fall Dance Showcase performances this weekend is $7. Anyone looking to purchase tickets can do so on the Bucknell Box Office online.