Spread the news: Flip-flops are a seasonal fashion flop

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the individual writers and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Bucknellian.

The weather is in the 30s, and there is a chill in the air. You walk briskly to class to avoid freezing and crank your heat to full blast in your dorm. It seems like the perfect time to swap out your summer flip-flops for winter boots.

Well, some Bucknellians seem to disagree. The amount of flip-flops worn on campus in these weather conditions is more of a fashion crime than white pants after Labor Day. Besides being a fashion crime, it is also impractical considering the weather. Who wants to be sporting flip-flips when you can see your breath in the air? 

Now, I love a good flip-flop. They are cute and practical… for the summer months. We must, however, address the fact that wearing sweats, a hoodie and flip-flops just looks plain silly. Does that sound like an ideal combination? I didn’t think so. If you are already bundling up, why would you put on flip-flops? “Ahh, yes, it is 30 degrees out. I must wear sweats and a sweatshirt to stay warm… and flip-flops!” Make it make sense, people.

Besides the awkwardness of how the shoe looks paired with sweats, it also doesn’t match the season’s style or location. We all love good fall fashion: sweaters, jeans, boots… but flip-flops? Doesn’t fit the bill. Nowhere in any part of the world are flip-flops seen as fall fashion, especially not in rural Pennsylvania.

People, we go on walks to downtown Lewi, not to the Santa Monica Pier. In fact, I’m sure people in Santa Monica have switched to fall footwear, as flip-flops during this time of year should be illegal. Point blank, it doesn’t vibe with the season or Pennsylvania in general. If you wanted a flip-flop school, you should’ve gone to college in Florida. 

Ignoring the fashion crime that flip-flops pose is an issue, too; it is also impractical with the weather. With Bucknell weather reaching the low 30s, you should reach for your shoes offering full coverage. Why would you actively want to wear footwear that will make you cold? Furthermore, flip-flops offer no protection from other weather, such as rain, that we have been experiencing recently. Who wants to have their feet out in freezing, rainy conditions? Not me. Switching out your flip-flops for a warmer shoe is okay! They will be right there when it gets warm again, do not fret.

To conclude, a good rule of thumb is that if you are in a jacket, you must wear footwear that covers your feet. Overall, flip-flops during this time of year look silly and are simply impractical. We aren’t swimming at the beach but finishing up fall semester classes… and counting down to Thanksgiving Break. If you wouldn’t wear flip-flops to Thanksgiving dinner, you shouldn’t wear them around campus.