Welcoming Winter: Upcoming Lewisburg and Bucknell activities

Hayley Leopold, Print Presentation Director / The Bucknellian

Bucknell and Lewisburg are hosting a vast amount of winter events that students can participate in. With Downtown Lewisburg being so close to campus, students have the opportunity to engage with the local community and businesses through all of the seasonal festivities. On campus, the CAP Center also provides a plethora of activities for students with many different interests. 

Downtown Lewisburg Events

20th Annual Heart of Lewisburg Ice Festival

From Feb. 2nd through the 4th, the annual Lewisburg Ice Festival will take place on Market Street. The weekend is full of various activities and events run by the town of Lewisburg, and, as the name suggests, ice is a major feature. On Friday, the first ice sculptures will be on display in front of many stores on Market Street; the featured artists display their talents by creating breathtaking pieces completely out of ice. 

Sip and Stroll Event

Also on Friday the 2nd, the Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau will sponsor the second annual Sip and Stroll event. Tickets are 35 dollars and come with a reusable cup and access to over 10 businesses that will provide drinks and snacks. Participants will be able to stroll around and shop on Market Street while sipping on beverages from local breweries, wineries, and distilleries. This event is very popular, so register as soon as possible to reserve a spot. 

Frosty 5K 

Saturday of the festival kicks off with a frosty 5k that starts at the Campus Theatre. Runners and walkers will be able to view the ice sculptures while running the race. During the race, a silent auction will be happening at the Campus Theatre along with a free showing of “Balto.” 

Polar Bear Plunge 

The 20th annual Lewisburg Polar Bear Plunge will also happen on Saturday. Brasserie Louis will be hosting the pre-party from 12-2, and at 2:30 the participants will march towards the Susquehanna River to jump in!

Chili Contest

A chili cook-off will also be taking place at Bull Run Tap House. For only $5, participants can taste different types of chili and vote on their favorite. There will also be children’s activities at the Greenspace Center starting at 10 a.m. The whole family can get involved in this event and there will be something for everyone. 

Chocolate Festival 

The Chocolate Festival ends the packed Ice Festival weekend. Over 450 people can participate in this chocolate-themed event. It includes a chocolate tour of downtown Lewisburg, where different vendors will offer samples of their chocolates, as well as a Gala at the Lewisburg Hotel. Doors open for the Gala at 6 p.m., where hors d’oeuvres, an open bar, chocolate displays and much more will be provided. The festival is raising money for The Donald L. Heiter Community Center (DHCC). The DHCC is a non-profit organization that engages in community activity by providing programming and activities for youth, adults and families. 

Bucknell Winter Events

Intramural Winter Sports and Group Fitness

The winter season for Intramural sports is about to kick off at Bucknell. The most popular sport, 5 v 5 basketball, will start playing in games next week. There are also leagues for soccer, floor hockey, squash, and racquetball. All intramural sports have single-sex as well as co-ed leagues. To register for a sport, students can use the Fusion Play App to either create a team or request to join one. The group fitness schedule is also available now for the winter season. Group Fitness is located in Studio 2, of the dance studios in the Weis Center. The classes include Barre, Pilates, Kickboxing and so much more. 

Activities Unlimited

The Activities Unlimited fair will take place on January 29th, outside of the Elaine Langone Center. Representatives from different clubs and other student organizations will be there to meet students interested in joining. This is a great experience to learn more about all of the activities Bucknell has to offer. 

Uptown Events and Arcade Night

Uptown hosts a variety of events for the winter months including a Just Dance night, Mario Kart night and many more. Free drinks will be offered at these events for students over the age of 21. This Friday there is also an arcade night at the Elaine Langone Center from 7 to 10 p.m. All students are welcome to enjoy the variety of games available. 

7th Street Studio & Makerspace

Consistently hosting events year-round for students, the Makerspace has activities to keep students out of the cold in the coming weeks. With options varying from crochet and pottery to charcuterie boards and  Valentine’s decorations, students can attend what interests them most. Events at the Makerspace can be found on their website and also in Brent Papson’s weekly emails.

For more information regarding the Ice Festival students can visit the Downtown Lewisburg Site. To access information regarding events on campus, visit Get Involved Bucknell