Cute or warm… Why not both?

Temperatures below freezing, snow falling and icy streets make up a quintessential Bucknell Winter. These aspects of the ’Burg may make you want to wear the same sweatpants and sweatshirt every day, but cold weather does not mean you have to compromise style. Why sacrifice style for warmth when you can have both? 

A nice, warm jacket is the first important part of any winter style. This season, puffer jackets have come out on top and there is a reason why. A nice puffer jacket will keep you warm while walking to classes and break the wind. I have seen many brands around campus this season, the two most notable being the Aritzia Super Puff and the North Face Puffer. However, any puffer is a good puffer. You can also get the puffers in various colors to go with any look. I recommend black or white, as you can wear those colors with anything and wear them every day. I have a white puffer, which I adore. If you didn’t want to go with a puffer jacket, you could always wear an overcoat, which is always in fashion. Nothing is as timeless as a nice camel-colored overcoat, which always offers an elegant look. While an overcoat isn’t as warm as a puffer, it will do the job. 

The following way to keep cozy and cute this season is accessorizing. Accessories can be both stylish and functional. But what accessories are fashionable and warm? I always say when in doubt, go for the Holy Trinity: scarves, hats and gloves. A cute scarf can make any outfit cute. It can add a pop of color or a tinge of sophistication. You can style scarves in several ways. Over your jacket, in your jacket, half and half. Frankly, the possibilities are endless. Next, you have hats. My favorite type of winter hats are those with a puff ball on top, and I always recommend one. You can get a regular beanie if you’re not into the pom-pom look. Both offer the feeling of being toasty as well as a sweet look. Lastly, gloves. I believe that gloves are vital for Lewisburg winters. Who likes cold hands? I know I don’t. While keeping you warm, gloves are the perfect way to tie your look together. By matching your scarf, hat and gloves together, you create a chic and put-together look while being warm. 

Layering is my favorite, tried and true, way to be cute and warm. Nothing keeps you warm like several layers, and nothing lets you comfortably wear your cute clothes like layering. My favorite way to layer are tank tops and leggings. Leggings under a cute pair of baggy jeans and a tank top under a sweater are bound to keep you warm while allowing you to wear your favorite clothes. 

Finally, footwear. As in most seasons, Uggs have come out on top this season. You can’t go wrong with Uggs: adorable and warm. However, Uggs don’t do well in snow or rain. I say get a pair of snow or rain boots for tumultuous weather conditions. Any sporting goods store, such as Columbia or North Face, has flattering and practical snow boots, while Hunter has great rain boots. These shoes will keep you warm while also keeping you in fashion. If you’re more of a sneaker person, Adidas Sambas are all the rage. You can get them as regular sneakers or as platforms; either way, they are the perfect shoes to tie an outfit together. You can get them in fun colors or neutrals to match any look. 

Overall, there are many ways to be trendy this winter while staying warm. So, whether you rock a puffer or layer your Lulus under your jeans, I’m sure your look will be fantastic. Soon, you’ll have so many cute winter clothes that you’ll be sad to see spring come… okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get my point. Happy dressing, Bucknellians!