Remembering Steve Jobs

By Michelle Joline

Arts & Life Editor

He revolutionized the world of technology, with the iPhone and Macintosh staples in today’s culture, and he inspired the creative world; the death of Steve Jobs at the age of 56 comes as sad news to people across the world. The face behind Macintosh and Apple battled pancreatic cancer and underwent a liver transplant all in the past decade, which lead to his recent resignation from Apple in August.

Jobs is famously quoted in saying that he wanted to make, “a dent in the universe,” and so it seems that is exactly what he did. The majority of students can be seen sporting a Macintosh computer on campus. The Apple products have created a link around our somewhat turbulent world, with the inventions of face time and video chat making communication attainable to all walks of life.

Often times Jobs is only recognized for his achievements in the Apple enterprise, but he was also a revolutionary in his other firm, Pixar. Some of the most beautiful contemporary images are products of Pixar’s creations, such as “Up” and “Finding Nemo.” The technology behind these animated films are the means to these extremely creative ends. Perhaps without the help of Jobs, the face of animation and the creativity behind it would not be what it is today: extraordinary.

Jobs was an enormous supporter of the arts, continuously working to make the tools necessary for the processes of creation attainable to everyone willing to experiment. With products like GarageBand, the face of the music industry has changed forever as more aspiring artists are recording their own music in the comfort of their living rooms, avoiding the expensive costs of studios. We can snap a shot of our latest inspiration on our iPhones, which produce digital quality photos. Jobs made creativity a normal piece of our lives in society, enhancing the art world through technology.

As the Apple silhouettes light up around the library during midterms and finals this year, we should take a moment to remember the man behind the emblem who revolutionized our generation.