Women's soccer loses in D.C.

By Andrew Arnao

The women’s soccer team was defeated 1-0 at American University on Sunday in their final road game of the season. Keeper Sandita McDermott ’13 finished with six saves.

Though both teams played well and appeared to be evenly matched, American finally broke through and scored on a header with 22 minutes left in the game. The Bison offense was unable to retaliate as the Orange and the Blue suffered their fifth 1-0 loss of the season.

“It was a hard-fought battle and it came down to finishing the few chances that were given,” Courtney Nelson ’15 said. “We didn’t capitalize on ours, and they finished one of their few chances. It was a difficult game on a less than ideal field, and I am proud of my teammates for never giving up and staying strong.”

American finished with the narrow 14-10 shot advantage, though the Bison had the 4-2 edge in corner kicks. Megan DeGennaro ’12, Tara Cort ’12 and Taryn Boucher ’13 each had two shots on goal.

“Our main focus is the need to score,” Brigit Falcón ’15 said.“We also need to go into our last three games wanting the win more than our opponent. Momentum can be a huge thing in soccer, so we need to go hard from the start.”

The Bison finish out their season with three straight home games, needing to win all three in order to have a chance to make the Patriot League Tournament. The first game is tonight against Lehigh at 7 p.m., and the next game is on Sunday against Lafayette at 1 p.m.