Men's tennis ends fall season on high note

By Andrew Lichtenauer

The men’s tennis team ended the fall season this weekend at the Lehigh Fall Championships. Leading the Bison were Josh Katten ’13 and Kelly Morque ’13, who teamed up for a perfect 3-0 record in doubles and went 2-0 in singles. As a team, the Bison finished the weekend at 17-9.

In the doubles bracket, Katten and Morque worked hard for their success. The two opened with a pair of 8-6 wins, first over Saint Francis and later against Lehigh. They went on to finish the draw with an 8-5 win over Delaware.

“We just really wanted to give it our all since this was the last tournament of the fall season,” Morque said.

According to Morque, two final round losses to teammates Gregg Cohenca ’12 and Evan Zimmer ’13 earlier in the season motivated him to play well at Lehigh.

Katten and Morque made their mark in Bison record books after their play at Lehigh. For the first time in his career,  Katten is now ranked among the top 20 players in singles victories with a career record of 38-32. Katten also moved up to 13th in doubles (44-22) and 16th in combined win record (82-54). Morque is now tied for 19th in doubles (37-28) and 30th in combined wins (64-47) at the University after his showing this weekend.

This marks the end of the fall tournament schedule for the men’s tennis team.

“The positive results from the fall give our team confidence going into the spring. As a team, we are all proud of our results and level of play so far, but there’s still a lot of work to do. The goal is to play at an even higher level in the spring,” Morque said.

After taking the winter off, the Bison will return to the courts on Feb. 3 to take on Saint Francis in Loretto, Pa.