On campus and local volunteer opportunities for students

Hayley Leopold, Print Presentation Director / The Bucknellian

Volunteer work in different forms makes up many activities Bucknell students participate in to give back and bolster their resumes. Through different clubs, organizations or events, students receive different options to dedicate their volunteering time. 

Bucknell Office of Civic Engagement

Bucknell’s Office of Civic Engagement is one of the campus resources that offers students with many opportunities to volunteer on campus and the surrounding community. The volunteer programs range from confronting food insecurity to building up local communities. 

Bucknell faculty also get involved with the volunteer programs through community engaged learning opportunities. As one of the office’s initiatives, they link professors and students to organizations that need assistance. This enables civic engagement to become a part of the Bucknell learning process. 

The office is one of many resources that students use to locate and sign up for different volunteering opportunities. We break down some of the many volunteering possibilities for students this spring semester. 

Bucknell University Farm

The Bucknell Farm is located on over 4 acres of land on the South Campus. Powered by students, the farm offers space for research across the three different colleges at Bucknell. It also promotes sustainability efforts in the local community, regenerative agriculture and overall campus wellness. 

Bucknell serves organic produce grown at the farm at different dining locations and also helps source the campus food pantry. Food insecurity has been an increasing concern for families in central Pennsylvania, and the Bucknell Farm has been able to partner with the town of Lewisburg to provide food to address the growing need. 

Community Harvest

Community Harvest is a weekly hot meal program that offers food to people from Milton and the surrounding communities. Every week, the program serves food for over 100 people and much of the food is grown locally in the Lewisburg Garden and Bucknell Farm. 

Meals are offered to anyone regardless of religious affiliation, income level or age. Students, faculty and staff volunteer together at Community Harvest to serve the community that they work, live in or live around. The meals are served from 5-6PM every Monday at St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church in Milton. 

Lewisburg Community Garden

Lewisburg Community Garden offers garden plots for groups and individuals who want to get a taste of gardening. The garden is a joint project between Bucknell University and the Lewisburg Borough. Community rental plots of the garden are also available to create organic produce that can be donated to charities in the local area. 

Every year, approximately 3,800 pounds of produce are harvested for hot meal programs and food banks. Through the project’s joint efforts with Bucknell, many students end up becoming volunteers on campus. 

“Every person I met at the Lewisburg Garden was extremely kind and selfless. They were always willing to help me whenever I needed a hand and taught me a lot about maintaining a proper garden.” Shane Mitchell ’24. Shane is just one of many students who have had similar experiences at the Lewisburg Community Garden. 

The Shepherd Poverty Internship Program

The Shepherd Poverty Internship Program is an 8 week program that places students with non-profit and government-funded agencies in human service sectors throughout the United States. The application for this year recently closed, but it is a yearly program that Bucknell students can participate in. Students who participate in this program are able to receive summer housing for their internship and a food stipend. The goal of this internship program is to provide students with an experience that will prepare them for taking care of their community post-Bucknell. Through the lessons taught in this program, Bucknell students become better equipped to diminish poverty by using professional and civic efforts. 

Animal Rescue Club

Lewisburg and Bucknell specifically have a very large and noticeable stray cat population. The Animal Rescue Club is student run and offers assistance to stray cats in need. This includes cat feeding stations, shelters and even participating in rescues of the cats. The club meets to try solve the stray cat crisis in combination with Bucknell administration. All students are welcome to join the club to try and make Bucknell a more accepting environment for animals in need. 

Empty Bowls 

Empty Bowls is a fundraising event to help support the Community Harvest program in Milton. For just 12 dollars, individuals can receive a ceramic bowl made at 7th Street Studio & MakerSpace, free soup and resources to learn about food insecurity. Student volunteers create the bowls before the event takes place and then event attendees are able to choose one to take home with them. These “empty bowls” are a physical reminder of all the people around the world and in the Lewisburg community who struggle with hunger.

This event is run in partnership with the Office of Civic Engagement, 7st Street Studio, MakerSpace and International Student Services. Empty Bowls will take place this year on March 20 in the ELC Terrace room, and you can purchase a ticket on the Box Office website

Community Service Federal Work Study Program 

The Community Service Federal Work Study Program allows work-study eligible students to get matched with nonprofit organizations. While volunteering for these organizations, Bucknell students will be paid federal grant money. This enables students to be able to work in positions that benefit local Lewisburg residents while also being paid.

For more information about volunteering opportunities at Bucknell and in the local community students can visit the Office of Civic Engagement website or Engaged Bucknell