2024 Commencement Student Speaker: Lea Tarzy
Alexandra Slofkiss: 2024 Commencement Soloist
Outstanding Senior Award: Bernadette Maramis
Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion: Gloria Sporea

May 10, 2024

Excellence in Athletics Award: Meghan Quinn

May 10, 2024

Excellence in the Arts Award: Joselyn Busato

May 10, 2024

Softball leaves doubleheader against Lehigh 0-2

Bucknell Softball faced a challenging weekend as they clashed with the formidable Lehigh Mountain Hawks in a doubleheader that left the Bison striving for a breakthrough. In a valiant effort, the Bison battled against the tough Lehigh squad but ultimately succumbed to a pair of losses, 3-0 and 16-1, during Sunday’s matchups.

Despite their efforts, the Bison struggled to ignite their offense, while Lehigh’s pitching held steadfast until the Mountain Hawks unleashed a torrent of runs, particularly during an explosive fifth inning in the second game. Bucknell’s defense faltered, committing four errors in the second game alone, allowing Lehigh to capitalize on scoring opportunities and secure their dominance on the field.

The opening game witnessed a display of resilience from both teams. Pitcher Hunter Vestal ’24 showcased her prowess on the mound, delivering a commendable performance by conceding only three runs over six innings while striking out three of Lehigh’s potent batters. However, Lehigh managed to break the deadlock in the fourth inning, capitalizing on a double by Cannon and a crucial single by Dudley, setting the stage for Lovett’s pivotal strikeout and a daring base-running maneuver by Cannon to secure the first run.

Despite Bucknell’s attempts to mount a comeback, highlighted by Bella Radican ’25’s leadoff single, the Mountain Hawks’ defense remained strong, swiftly snuffing out any potential rallies and sealing their victory with a final out.

The second game witnessed a large momentum shift as Lehigh surged ahead early in the contest, scoring four runs in the opening frame, fueled by an error and a series of well-executed hits. Bucknell’s Madison Roukey ’25 faced a daunting challenge, swiftly replaced by Savannah Jones ’25, who admirably contained the Mountain Hawks’ offensive onslaught until the pivotal fifth inning.

Bucknell showcased their resilience once again in the fourth inning, with Sarah Zimmerman ’27’s clutch single driving in Marissa Rapino ’26, offering a glimmer of hope amidst the mounting pressure. However, Lehigh’s relentless offensive barrage in the fifth inning proved insurmountable, as a succession of errors and timely hits propelled the Mountain Hawks to a commanding 16-1 lead.

Despite their best efforts to stage a late-game rally, Bucknell found themselves unable to overcome the deficit, ultimately succumbing to a determined Lehigh squad.

While the weekend’s matchups may have ended in disappointment for the Bison, they emerge from the doubleheader with invaluable lessons learned and a reinforced sense of resilience. As they regroup and prepare for future challenges, Bucknell Softball remains undeterred in their pursuit of excellence, ready to face whatever obstacles may come their way with unwavering determination and tenacity.

They travel to Hamilton, NY this weekend to take on Colgate in a three-game series.