Softball attends Adventure Crossing USA Classic

Lianne Garrahan / The Bucknellian

Bucknell Softball traveled to Jackson Township, NJ to play five games: three against Hofstra and two versus Fairleigh Dickinson. After their weekend, the Bison finished with a 2-3 record. 

On Friday, Bucknell played a double header against Hofstra. The Bison won both games 5-4 and 4-0. 

In the first game, Savannah Jones ’25 started on the mound. Unfortunately, Hofstra was able to score several points. To end the frame, Jones settled down and obtained two grounders.

Bucknell had their first scoring chance in the top of the third inning when Elena Horn ’25 walked and Haley Speicher ’26 singled to second base. However, Zoie Smith ’24 struckout and ended the inning.

In the fourth inning, the Bison were finally scoring runs. MaKenzie Hilling ’25 singled and advanced to second on Jones’ sacrifice bunt. Brooke Popella ’27 smashed a single to set up runners at the corners. A hit by Noelle Gardon ’24 scored Hilling home. Later in the inning, Shea Malone ’27 pounded a single to the right center for her first collegiate hit. Following this, Annabella Hawkins ’24 smashed a single to left field to score Gardon. Now the Bison only trailed 3-2. 

At the bottom of the fourth, Hunter Vestal ’24 entered to pitch. 

Bucknell tied the game during the sixth inning. Popella and Gardon walked, while Malone hit a single and earned her first collegiate RBI. After, Hawkins walked to load the bases and Gardon scored to tie the game 4-4.

The Bison took the lead in the seventh inning as Smith smashed a home run over the 335-foot right-center fence. That was the last run of the game, as it concluded 5-4 favoring Bucknell.

To start the second game, Madison Roukey ’25 was on the mound. She only allowed three hits and struck out 11 batters, earning a new career high. 

The Bison tallied two runs in the first frame when Malone doubled, Smith walked and Hilling bunted to advance both runners. Jones then singled to score Malone and Smith. Bucknell was now up 2-0.

Hofstra had their best scoring opportunity in the third inning, but were unable to score at all.

In the fifth inning, the Bison added two insurance runs to conclude victorious, 4-0.

On Saturday, the Bison only had one game and were defeated 3-2 by FDU in a close game.

For the second time this weekend, Jones started in the circle. 

During the first three innings, there were only two base runners for either team. 

In the fourth inning, Bucknell collected two runs and took the lead. However, the advantage did not last long as FDU tied the game in the fifth inning. FDU then seized the lead in the sixth inning. To end the game, Bucknell put in Roukey for relief. 

The Bison attempted to extend the game in the seventh inning but were unlucky, falling to FDU 3-2. 

On Sunday, Bucknell played their final two games of the weekend. First against FDU and second against Hofstra. The Bison fell to both teams that day.

The game against FDU was another tight one but FDU was able to take the win 7-6. 

Bucknell came out strong with a 3-0 lead. Sarah Zimmerman ’27 started on the mound for Bucknell. By the end of the first inning, Bucknell was clinging to a 3-2 lead.

In the second inning, Smith hit a triple into right field to score Gardon home, extending their lead to 4-2.

The Orange and Blue tallied two more runs in the fourth inning as Speicher led off with a triple and Smith drove her home. Smith then stole second and scored on a hit from Hilling. Unfortunately, Bucknell’s advantage went down after FDU scored three more runs.

In the sixth inning, Vestal entered the mound. She quickly got two quick outs before yielding a double. A walk followed and Smith allowed a passed ball to tie the game 6-6. To end the inning Vestal struckout her opponent. 

Bucknell was unable to score anymore when at bat and gave up one more run to fall 7-6.

To conclude the weekend, Bucknell played their third game against Hofstra. Earlier in the weekend, the Bison were victorious in both games but were defeated in this one 8-4.

Jones started on the mound again for Bucknell. In the first inning, the Bison gave up three runs.

In the second inning, the Bison obtained their first run. Hilling reached on an error and advanced to third after two sacrifice bunts. Ava Aguilar ’25 tripled into the right-center gap to score Hilling home. 

Hofstra scored two more runs early in the fifth inning and added three insurance runs off of Mea Consentino ’26 in the sixth.

Bucknell scored two runs in the final inning, but it was not enough to come back from their 8-4 deficit.  

Next up, Bucknell will attend the Blue Hen Invitational on March 1-3 in Newark, DE. While there, the Bison will play Fairfield on Friday, Maine and Delaware on Saturday, then Maine and Fairfield again on Sunday.