Softball falls to Boston in three-game series

Bucknell Softball traveled to Boston, MA over the weekend to compete in a three game series against Boston University. The series consisted of one game on Saturday, April 20 and a doubleheader on Sunday, April 21. Despite battling, Bucknell lost all three games. 

On Saturday, the Bison fell in their first game to Boston 7-0. The teams played on even terms for six of the seven innings. However, a seven-run outburst in the fifth inning earned Boston the victory. 

Madison Roukey ’25 started on the mound for Bucknell and pitched four scoreless innings. 

The Boston defense was strong, but Bucknell batter Bella Radican ’25 broke up the Boston no-hitter in the fifth inning with an expertly placed single to right field.

Before the bottom of the fifth, the Bison made a pitching change with Hunter Vestal ’24 entering the circle. Boston took advantage of this switch and tallied four runs to extend their lead. Sarah Zimmerman ’27 then took the mound for the Bison, but let up the last three runs.

Heading into Sunday’s games, the Bison were hoping to switch around the outcome, but were unsuccessful. Although defeated two more times, Bucknell closed the scoring gap, only falling 1-0 in both games. Bucknell lost the first game 1-0 in 12 innings and fell in the second game in the regulated seven frames. 

In the first game of the doubleheader, Savannah Jones ’25 started in the circle. Jones had an outstanding outing against one of the best-hitting teams in the league.

Radican prevented an early Boston advantage in the opening inning by tracking down a softly hit pop-up in the right field. 

In the sixth inning, the Bison had a chance to score when Zoie Smith ’24 worked a six-pitch walk and Jones also walked. Unfortunately, Smith was controversially called out for leaning early on a foul ball, and Radican’s pop-up was caught.

After regulation, the teams were tied 0-0, sending them into extra innings. The duel continued, but Boston came out victorious in the 12th inning when they used two singles and a sacrifice bunt to score the winning run for the 1-0 win.

For game two, Roukey started pitching for the Bison and pitched five scoreless innings. She faced some trouble in the second inning, but was able to avoid letting up runs.

In the fifth inning, Boston broke the 0-0 tie with two singles and a Bucknell error to allow the one run. 

The Orange and Blue almost tied the game in the final inning with singles by MaKenzie Hilling ’25 and Annabella Hawkins ’24, but just fell short.

Coming up on Saturday and Sunday, Bucknell hosts Holy Cross for a three-game series.