Icks or licks: Ice cream takes 

Ice cream is an incredible treat. Cold, but sweet, creamy and delicious, there have been many takes and spins on this classic and beloved dessert. However, in my humble opinion, there have been some haters with bad opinions and unneeded spin-offs that have taken this wonderful frozen treat a tad too far. In order to clear the air and deliver the scoop, I would like to introduce to you, the icks and licks of ice cream. 

1. Ick: Sprinkles

I know this is quite the controversy. However, if I were to ask you what sprinkles taste like, you’d have a hard time venturing beyond an adjective like “sweet.” Sure, they’re colorful, but for what reason do you need to subject yourself to a waxy, pigmented, artificially-dyed creation simply because they have color? If you need color, might I suggest going to a museum and looking at something more tasteful, like a Kandinsky or Van Gogh. 

2. Lick: Mint Ice Cream

I stand proudly by the fact that I love a good minty refreshing taste to my ice cream. To all the haters who say that mint chocolate chip ice cream tastes like toothpaste, what’s wrong with toothpaste? Do you brush your teeth? Additionally, I would like to add that there’s no need for that judgemental stare or snarky remark every time someone orders a mint chocolate chip ice cream. It’s a delightful flavor, the mintiness cuts through the cream and the small chocolate chunks add a nice bite. While I do hope to change your opinion, part of me hopes that those who hate it will stay far away from it so such a lovely flavor can be for those who cherish it. 

3. Ick: Teaberry

Now, I know you may be asking yourself, “Esther, if you like mint, why don’t you like Teaberry?” Flavors like mint chocolate chip are subtle and refreshing, they do not make you choke or cough like teaberry. If you are unsure of what teaberry is, I implore you to stay far away from it. It’s a deceivingly pretty light pink color, with “berry” and “tea” in its name, you would think it would be fruity or at least tea-like, but instead, you are met with a medicinal-like taste of spicy wintergreen flavoring. 

4. Lick: Vanilla

Before you say that vanilla is boring, know that there is a reason as to why vanilla has persisted in its popularity and why any ice scream shop is incomplete without it. It’s simple, sure, but that is also why it is a classic. Simply because of its lack of drama, it is able to accompany any topping and match any syrup: strawberry, caramel or chocolate. 

At the end of the day, ice cream is ice cream, and even if you’re settling for teaberry (when there are far more superior flavors), the only person I will truly judge are those who refuse ice cream.