Bucknell responds to request for RA Union, election to be held next week
EXTINCTION: Using art and technology to preserve history
Reflections on language, technology and connecting with others
A unique spring break: Student researchers travel to Japan

(OCTO)PUSS PSA: Jake Shane comes to Bucknell!

BSU stuns in annual Fashion Show

BSU stuns in annual Fashion Show

Men's swimming dominates GW

By Andrew Lichtenauer

The men’s swimming and diving team started the season off strong in Kinney Natatorium over the weekend, defeating George Washington 168-89. The Bison had at least two of the top three finishers in 11 of the events contested and swept the top three spots in the 500 free and 100 fly.

Mike Nicholson ’14 led the Orange and Blue with wins in the 200 butterfly, 100 butterfly and 1,000 freestyle. With his win in the 1,000 freestyle (9:40.35), Nicholson moved up to fifth in University program history for the event. In his three victories, Nicholson beat his opponents by a combined time of 14.83 seconds.

“My success this past weekend came from the great training we’ve been doing since the beginning of the year. Every guy on our team gives their all at every practice, lift and dry land. The attitude we have in our locker room is contagious; we have big goals for this year and everyone is 100 percent focused on doing his part,” Nicholson said. “We want to make a name for ourselves as a program and we have the guys to do it.”

Thomas Brown ’12,  Matthew Segar ’12, Eric Sokolosky ’12 and Christian Treat ’13 also contributed to the team’s success against George Washington, winning two individual events apiece.

Eric Sokolosky won the 50 freestyle (20.95), 100 freestyle (46.23) and 200-medley relay (1:34.39).

“The team as a whole is working harder than I’ve ever seen them work before,” Sokolosky said. “We’ve been employing some new techniques and equipment both in the pool and weight room that have really proven effective. With such strong performances from everyone so early in the season, one can’t argue with the results.”

Ben Seketa ’15 had the fastest time in the 200 IM (1:54.99). 

Looking ahead to the rest of the season, the team is confident about its prospects.

“This year’s men’s team is likely one of the fastest and deepest team in Bucknell’s history. We must realize just how strong we are and that there’s so much we can accomplish this season,” Nicholson said. 

The Bison will return to the pool in two weeks when they face Patriot League rivals American, Lafayette and Navy in Annapolis, Md.