BSU stuns in annual Fashion Show
George M. Johnson speaks on diverse storytelling for Bucknell Forum
Digging into the three dining services finalists
To what extent are dorm checks ethical?

To what extent are dorm checks ethical?

Women’s Lacrosse triumphs in home opener against Robert Morris

The Comfort Suites hotel: A unique Bucknell living space?

Women's soccer falls short of playoffs

By Andrew Arnao

The women’s soccer team played strong defense but was unable to clinch the final spot in the Patriot League tournament last Sunday in a 1-0 loss to Navy.

Originally scheduled as a home game for the Bison, the game was moved to Susquehanna University due to unfavorable weather conditions on Saturday.

“Our game Sunday was a painful end to a tough season, but it was a game in which we fought till the end. I’m so proud of the way our team was able to come back again and again throughout the season to give ourselves a chance to play for something in our last league game,” Megan DeGennaro ’12 said.

“We faced several challenges this weekend because of weather complications,including the unfortunate fact that we were unable to play our last game at home as scheduled–-a huge advantage to us–-because of our lack of a turf field,” she said. “Even with these complications, we competed and gave 100 percent until the last minute of the game.”

In the one-goal game, legitimate scoring opportunities were scarce as the two teams combined for just seven shots on goal. The Midshipmen’s first goal came 11 minutes in and was the only goal for either team.

The Bison were outshot 12-6, though they led in corner kicks 7-4.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t play our best soccer on Sunday, but I am extremely proud of everyone on the team for working hard and fighting until the very end,” midfielder Tara Cort ’12 said. “We had worked hard to put ourselves in a position where it was in our own hands if we were going to make the Patriot League tournament and that is something I am very proud of.”

Keeper Sandita McDermott ’13 finished the game with four saves, giving her 81 total on the year. She also finished with four shutouts and a 1.14 goal against-per-game average, the third highest in program history. The Orange and Blue have allowed only 19 goals in 16 games, the second fewest in program history.

Sunday was also the final game for seniors Sadie Canter ’12, Casey Crowley ’12, Cort and DeGennaro. Eight starters will return for the Bison next year.