Volleyball falls to Colgate

By Colin Fields

The volleyball team lost a tough match 3-0 at home last Saturday. Despite taking an early lead in the first set and trading shots with Colgate in the second, the Bison fell in straight sets. Katie Baumgarten ’12 tallied nine kills and eight digs in her final appearance in Davis Gym.

In the first set, the Orange and Blue jumped out to an early advantage at 11-8. The Bison then lost their lead, but regained it with a kill by Kebah Edoho ’13. Down 13-12, Colgate rallied for five consecutive points. The Bison were able to come back to within one at 21-20 but Colgate rallied again and took the opening set 25-21.

The Orange and Blue opened the second set with another 12-8 advantage with a kill by Baumgarten and an ace from Kat Tauscher ’13. Tauscher logged 22 assists throughout the match. The Bison let the lead slip again, and Colgate rallied for seven points to take a 15-12 lead. An ace from Kadri Lutter ’15 put the Bison back on top 19-17. But Colgate came back again, scoring three straight points to close out the set 25-22.

The Raiders did not relent in the third set. The Bison tied the score at 3-3 and never came back. Colgate went on a blistering 16-5 run that brought the score to 19-8. The Orange and Blue mounted a final comeback in the third set but had dug themselves too big a hole and eventually fell 25-17.

The Bison offense posted a .173 hitting average. Colgate posted a .272 hitting average and had five players with at least eight kills.

The Bison close their season with four away matches, starting with Lehigh and Lafayette this weekend.

“I am very excited about the upcoming games with Lehigh and Lafayette. We had a really good game against Colgate despite losing. If we play with the same level of intensity that we did when we played Colgate, we will definitely do well this weekend,” Edoho said.