Fair exposes students to service opportunities

By Nicki Briggs

University students were exposed to opportunities for community service at the Community Service Fair hosted by the Office of Civic Engagement on Wednesday.
Many organizations from the surrounding community came to the Terrace Room in the Elaine Langone Center to provide students with information about what they do and how the University community can specifically help them.
“It’s really nice that Bucknell brings all the service projects together because it really bridges the gap between the campus and the community and shows that there really is a need for help,” Kelly Riggins ’12 said.
Organizations in attendance included the Milton YMCA, Community Harvest and the Dream Catcher Farm, and others. All of these organizations were surrounded by crowds of students representing various groups on campus or just coming to further their own interests. They spoke about what they stood for, showed pictures and displayed mission statements to best communicate what they represent.
“It’s very helpful to me to be able to come here and see all the opportunities available to us in the area,” June Granowitz ’14 said. “As someone serving as a community service chair for an organization on campus, it was very helpful to be able to get such useful information all in one place.”
Students showed motivation and interest at the event. Almost every student in attendance walked away with a handful of brochures and a new appreciation and understanding of what they can really do to help.
“I feel that Bucknell students benefit so much from the positive environment surrounding it and it’s important to give back,” Glen Morisano ’14 said.
For more information on how you can give back to the local community, contact Jessica Paquin or Lynn Pierson or visit the website of the Office of Civic Engagement.