2024 Commencement Student Speaker: Lea Tarzy
Alexandra Slofkiss: 2024 Commencement Soloist
Outstanding Senior Award: Bernadette Maramis
Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion: Gloria Sporea

May 10, 2024

Excellence in Athletics Award: Meghan Quinn

May 10, 2024

Excellence in the Arts Award: Joselyn Busato

May 10, 2024

Outrage justified against Komen

By Sarah Morris

It’s hard to believe that an organization so powerful for the heath of women everywhere, like the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, would ever pull funds from another organization (Planned Parenthood) that works to keep women safe from health issues. It is easy to understand why the public was outraged that the money was pulled due to political issues surrounding Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood offers a number of health services to women everywhere who might not be able to afford them otherwise. They offer STD screening, contraceptive methods, pregnancy and prenatal services, family practice services, abortion and, of course, cancer screenings. The last two listed were the main issues for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

It actually infuriates me that anyone would stop the support of an organization that gives so much help to women simply because they offer a few politically controversial options in their services. I have not had to use Planned Parenthood for anything health related yet, but I have many friends who have gone there for advice on birth control methods and breast cancer screenings. I imagine if I found out I was pregnant, Planned Parenthood would be a service I would be happy to get information from about my options.

Despite the public backlash faced by the Susan G. Komen Foundation after the announcement, the organization remained strong, at first supporting its decision. Recently, though, the Komen Foundation has released a statement declaring the pulling of the funds will be reversed and Planned Parenthood will still be able to apply for grants from the breast cancer foundation. 

This is what is right. Any group that wishes to apply for grants from the Susan G. Komen Foundation should not be based on political banter that occurs in America. The issue here is women’s health, and it is good to see the Komen Foundation realized that. Planned Parenthood is an organization we should be proud to have alongside the breast cancer foundation. It shows our dedication to keeping women healthy everywhere against the risk of this killer disease.