Men's golf finishes seventh

By Eric Brod

The men’s golf team finished seventh at the Cornell Invitational last weekend, while the women’s team finished 10th at the Badger Invitational at the University Ridge Course in Madison, Wisc.

The men’s team totaled a 904 for the 54-hole tournament. Binghamton won the tournament with 868. Schuyler Stitzer ’14, who finished with a 71 in the final round and a 221 total, earned an 11th-place finish in his first collegiate away meet. Stitzer felt his putting was the biggest reason for his improvement in score throughout the weekend.

“The only real adjustment that I made throughout the tournament was being careful on the greens,” he said. “It was really easy to three-putt, and the more rounds I played the more comfortable I felt on the greens and by the last nine holes I was able to make some nice putts.”

Jon Hartman ’13 also had a strong weekend, tallying 227 for the tournament. Will Bachman ’12 finished with a 228.

“This course played to my strengths because the course was pretty much in front of the player … the holes were laid out in such a manner so that they were distinctive. [It was] … easy to understand where to hit the ball off the tee and which pins to attack,” Bachman said. “This allowed me to hit a lot of greens over the three rounds and make a lot of pars.”

The women finished 10th with a score of 942, while host Wisconsin won the 54-hole tournament with 879. Three Bison posted scores of 74 or better on the final day. Kasha Scott ’14 led the way, posting a one-over-par 73, and Minjoo Lee ’12 and Katie Jurenovich ’11 each shot 74s. Lee finished with the best score of the tournament for the Bison, compiling a 230 to earn a 22nd-place tie.

The women’s team returns to action this weekend at the Nittany Lion Invitational in State College, Pa. The men return  Saturday, Oct. 9 for the Joe Agee Invitational in Williamsburg, Va.