Week aims to combat eating disorders

By Carleen Boyer

This week, the Women’s Resource Center planned events for National Eating Disorder Awareness Week on campus, which featured in-depth forums and panel discussions that focused on the effects and treatment of eating disorders. According to Mental Health America, a nonprofit organization seeking to helping Americans live mentally healthier lives, approximately eight million women and men in the United States suffer from an eating disorder.

The week began with a call for awareness and reflection. The events that followed focused on empowering individuals to have a positive self-image. Dustyn Martincich, assistant professor of theatre and dance, led an hour-long dance session in McDonnell Ski Lounge on Feb. 28.
There was also a dance program entitled “Womanifesto,” organized by Aliyah Johnson ’14, on Feb. 29. Held in Walls Lounge, this was meant to provide an opportunity to dance and celebrate the body through movement. It was open to all students.
To conclude the week, Activities and Campus Events (ACE) will host a spa day called “The Spa Spectacular” tomorrow. It will feature hair styling, make up, facials, manicures and yoga from 12 to 4 p.m. in the Terrace Room. This is all part of the effort to reinforce positive body image and to fight eating disorders on college campuses.
Psychological Services also promoted its free and confidential online eating disorder screening this week. Even though the screening is available throughout the year, the announcement highlights awareness in the spirit of the week. The screening can be accessed by going to the Psychological Services website and clicking on Online Mental Health Screening.