Meet the Suites eases nerves

Jason Pepe

First-year women gathered in Hunt Hall for the first annual Meet the Suites on March 6 from 6 to 8 p.m.  The event provided first-year women who are considering participating in Greek Life an opportunity to gain familiarity with each sorority in a more laid back and casual environment than the formal recruitment events. Meet the Suites was designed to help ease the nerves of first-year women going into the more formal Open Suites which is held in April.

Each first-year woman was given a “passport” that she had to get stamped at each sorority’s suite.  The women were allowed to spend as much or as little time as they wanted at a particular suite, but were required to visit all seven of them.  Each sorority offered snacks such as cookies and fruity drinks.

Meghan Marks ’13, Delta Gamma’s vice president of membership, enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the event.

“It was fun to just hang out and talk to the girls without all of the formalities of recruitment, and I think it was really helpful for them to see each sorority’s suite and rooms before the process starts,” Marks said.

Meet the Suites replaced previous years’ event called “Meet the Greeks,” and was thought to be a significant improvement.

“In its first year, I would definitely consider the event a success. Going forward, Meet the Suites will be an excellent opportunity for first-year women to meet each sorority in a casual setting before beginning the recruitment process,” said Kasey Hampton ’13, chief recruitment chair of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity.

Even though Meet the Suites was held during midterm week, turnout was not substantially affected.

“[Meet the Suites] served as a fun study break for everyone,” Hampton said.