Volleyball team sweeps weekend with two wins

By Cooper Sutton

Sports Editor

The women’s volleyball team had its best weekend of the season, downing two league opponents in straight sets at Lehigh and Lafayette. The team improved to a solid 3-1 record in Patriot League play.

Katie Baumgarten ’13 earned Bison Athlete of the Week honors. She had 18 kills and 26 digs in the two matches.

Baumgarten attributed her success, as well as her team’s, to preparation.

“As a team we did a great job preparing for each match. We scouted each team by watching film, finding out their weaknesses and tendencies and capitalizing on those weaknesses when we played them,” Baumgarten said.

The Orange and Blue blew Lafayette out in the first two sets on Friday, allowing 14 and 15 points respectively. The third set was much closer but the Bison won it 33-31. Lafayette is now 0-3 in Patriot League play.

On Saturday, the Bison faced Lehigh (7-9).

“Although Lafayette did not pose much of a threat either skill- or fight-wise, Lehigh showed some of both,” Heidi Kamp ’11 said.

The team played one of its best matches of the season, winning in straight sets for its second consecutive win.

“As a team, we maintained a great balance between keeping our cool and having a sense of urgency, which together brought our team the victories over the weekend,”Kamp said.

The Bison allowing 21, 20 and 22 points, respectively, in the three games. Baumgarten put away 10 kills and achieved a hitting percentage of .360 to solidify her performance. Kyleigh McAhren ’12 and Ragin Jackson ’13 scored eight and six kills respectively.

“There was no single key player from this weekend, which made our team even more difficult to stop because the other teams had to focus on stopping multiple threats at a time instead of being able to hone in on one or two dominant players,” Kamp said.

The team plays league-opponent Colgate this Friday at home at 7 p.m.