Jane Fonda delves into past and future activism for Bucknell Forum
Bucknell responds to request for RA Union, election to be held next week
EXTINCTION: Using art and technology to preserve history
Reflections on language, technology and connecting with others

A unique spring break: Student researchers travel to Japan

(OCTO)PUSS PSA: Jake Shane comes to Bucknell!

Sleeping Around: What it means to be sexy

Dixie Rose
Columnist

Being sexy is something that plagues most college girls (and even some boys). We all want to have the sex appeal of Marilyn with the class of Jackie O. It’s the whole “freak in the sheets, but a lady in the streets” dilemma. But what exactly does it mean to be sexy? And how the hell can we get there?

Some people naturally exude sex appeal. They are the ones that make someone’s head snap as they walk into a room. Those are the Marilyns of our generation, and today, being sexy isn’t as taboo as it was in the 1950s and 1960s, so girls really strut their stuff and let it all hang out. 

I am not a sexy person. Cute, maybe. But sexy? Woof. Absolutely not. My friends (a.k.a. Rocky Blue) have taken it upon themselves to teach me how to be sexy. Their advice is to walk and shake my hips (which is a lot of multitasking), and to work toward a “smize” that would make Tyra Banks proud. This advice usually leads to me prancing around like an idiot, trying too hard and over thinking, leaving me with more of a lack of sexiness than I starte. Watching me do a strip tease would be about as hot as watching Zach Galifianakis and Michael Cera star in “Magic Mike.”  

I think being sexy is about being comfortable. It’s about knowing who you are and knowing your body, and then being able to manipulate both personality and body, basically confidence. People always tell me that being sexy is about being confident. I personally find it to be incredibly sexy when someone has the confidence to approach me and tell me exactly what he or she wants from me. So why shouldn’t I do the same?

Confidence is something that both Jackie O and Marilyn possessed. Both of these amazing women had a true sense of self, a definite presence. People noticed them when they walked into a room. They had a certain naturalness about them and never looked like they were trying too hard. They were just themselves and it showed, especially in the way people responded to them.

Everyone always asks, who would you rather be, Jackie or Marilyn? I think it is possible to be both. Marilyn was overtly sexy, while Jackie O was subtly sexy. Both women were confident, and that confidence helped them to showcase their own natural sex appeal. Maybe I’ll never be a Marilyn, but there could be some hope for me falling into the Jackie category. There is something to be said for focusing on being confident instead of the superficial features that make someone attractive. After all, isn’t it what’s on the inside that counts?

Sex appeal is a secondary benefit of confidence, not something that should be independently striven for. Be yourself and be confident, and people will respond.