Trend Report: Outerwear

Kate Jansen
Columnist 

With recent temperatures dropping well below 40 degrees, I think it’s appropriate to dedicate this article to outerwear essentials. Here is a list of autumn accessories that will protect you from the cold.

1. The scarf. My favorite fall necessity is the scarf. Not only does it add a professional, collegiate flare to your sweater-and-jeans ensemble, but it shields you from those unreasonably cold morning breezes. What I love about this season’s trend is that scarves come in a variety of patterns, textures and sizes. Save shorter scarves for more formal occasions (like dinner dates and concerts) and longer scarves for daily accessories. In my opinion, infinity scarves are probably the most conventional, mostly because you don’t have to deal with figuring out the best way to tie it. Where does one come across scarves in the shopping world? Piperlime.com has a fantastic selection of inexpensive scarves and wraps, as does Madewell and Nasty Gal.

2. The jacket. If you are confused by which jacket you should be modeling by late October, have no fear! Popular coat designs this season are among blazers, double-breasted pea coats and parkas (conveniently listed in order from early fall to near-winter attire). Throw on a blazer on sunny days when the temperature doesn’t drop below 60 degrees. Paired with a light knit t-shirt, skinny jeans and ballet flats, blazers can complete a chic ensemble. Current chilly temperatures prove that it’s time to break out wool pea coats. This season’s selection comes in a variety of bright colors and patterns; I recently acquired an olive green tweed pea coat over fall break. Pea coats also pair beautifully with dark wash jeans and riding boots. Finally, when we are nearing the winter months (i.e. Thanksgiving break), make sure to invest in a parka. Coming from the East Coast, I am very familiar with this classic winter jacket (it has saved me countless times from death-by-shivering). The North Face and Patagonia offer a wide selection of parkas, as do online retailers like Piperlime and Zappos.