Jane Fonda delves into past and future activism for Bucknell Forum
Bucknell responds to request for RA Union, election to be held next week
EXTINCTION: Using art and technology to preserve history
Reflections on language, technology and connecting with others

A unique spring break: Student researchers travel to Japan

(OCTO)PUSS PSA: Jake Shane comes to Bucknell!

New Greek member experience is meaningful

Justin Marinelli

Senior Writer

I went through rush this year thinking I had everything planned out. I knew exactly where I wanted to rush, how I was going to go about it and what I would get out of it. Well, sort of. Fastidious plans aren’t my strong suit. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I had a framework laid out.

Something happened though, that I didn’t have a framework for dealing with. One of the fraternities I ended up visiting (that wasn’t on my intended list) just clicked with me. I felt comfortable there. It felt right. In the span of roughly an hour, I became a lot more interested than I had before. So much for having everything figured out.

Over the following days, I ended up spending a lot more time there. The brothers never failed to greet me enthusiastically every time I showed up. I clicked with the guys I met, and I loved just hanging out with them. By the end of rush, I knew where I wanted to be.

Luckily, they wanted me as well. I wasn’t out of the woods yet though. I’d heard tales of hazing, and I was unsure of how that would turn out. Fortunately, I didn’t need to worry. My pledge process turned out to be a smooth, rewarding experience, as I bonded with my pledge brothers, learned the history of my fraternity and learned the rituals and customs I would need to know.

Eventually, I reached the end of my pledge process. As I stood there at initiation, waiting to be officially confirmed as a new member, I couldn’t help but feel an immense surge of pride. I was ready for this, I had worked for this and now I was going to officially be a brother. I loved my pledging process, but I couldn’t wait for the next part of the journey.

The Greek system isn’t for everyone, and it does have its own set of issues. Still, that’s a topic for another time. For me, after a semester of entering the Greek system, getting through the pledge process and ending the year as a full-on fraternity man, I know it was worth it. Not only that, but it was one of the richest experiences I’ve ever had, one that has been equal parts exciting, enlightening and unexpected, and without a doubt, definitely beyond anything I could have planned for.